Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water/Mash questions re: Kolsch  (Read 6761 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Water/Mash questions re: Kolsch
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:02:37 am »
Hello once again,

I am looking to brew a Kolsch for my latest venture - A style I have really come to love.  I've done several All grain batches and seem to have finally dialed in my process, and I have all the necessary temp control in place for a beer like this. 

I've been reading a lot of resources and it would seem that it'd be in my best interest to shoot for a mash pH of 5.4 for this beer.  The question is what is the best way to do that?  With a grist of 93% Pils Malt and 7% Wheat malt, i should have a mash pH of roughly 5.8.  Would acid malt be the appropriate way to go, or is there a better way to treat my water to achieve my target pH? 

Once again, your help is appreciated.

Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Water/Mash questions re: Kolsch
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:09:58 am »
Using lactic or phosphoric acid is much easier and more precise.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:33 am »
+88%!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:37 am »
I also agree.

I would recommend using Bru'n water to get the amount of 88% Lactic to use, and then confirm with a pH meter if you have one.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
Based on the scenario, I assume that you are using low-alkalinity water like RO for the mashing. An all pale malt mash would typically end with its pH around 5.7 to 5.8 unless the water was hardened or acidified. That pH does create a potential for tannin extraction.

Given the style, I would target a pH of 5.2 to 5.3. Some form of acidification is needed. Acid malt can work, but liquid acids are more likely to be accurate.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »
I also agree.

I would recommend using Bru'n water to get the amount of 88% Lactic to use, and then confirm with a pH meter if you have one.

Great thank you!  Where do I find Bru'n water?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:20 pm »
I also agree.

Great thank you!  Where do I find Bru'n water?  I'm assuming 88% Lactic is something I can get at a homebrew store or online?

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

88% Lactic Acid is the concentration that I have always seen in the Homebrew store. I think my last purchase was 3 bucks for 4oz.

Oh, and make sure to thank Martin for making the spreadsheet we all can use to make tasty beer!

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:17 pm »
Thanks!

Edit:  It took a while to decipher my water report and why they weren't reporting magnesium, but I was able to estimate it and it seems to work.  Some lactic acid and CaCl2 will get me to a pH right in the sweet spot. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:01:16 am by madscientist »
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 05:13:50 pm »
Ok bumping this one more time because of a few questions with my water report that came up.  I thought I had everything good to go, but need some clarification.

This is what I have for my water report:

Alkalinity, total: 30.1 mg/L
Ca: 13.9 mg/L
Hardness, Carbonate: 64.1 mg/L
NO3: 1.16 mg/L
Na: 29.1 mg/L
SO4: 25.8 mg/L
Cl: 52.8 mg/L

Since they give me the hardness, that should contain the total calcium and magnesium.  I was reading on braukaiser that generally 70% of this hardness comes from calcium.  So 30% (or 19.2 mg/L) should be the magnesium content.  That would mean 44.8 would be calcium.  But since calcium is listed already (13.9), do I add the 44.8 to 13.9, or is should I subtract the 13.9 from the 64.1 to get 50.2 for the magnesium?  Ultimately I am wondering what numbers I need to put in a water calculator. 

Thanks again
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 07:03:56 pm »
Since they give me the hardness, that should contain the total calcium and magnesium.  I was reading on braukaiser that generally 70% of this hardness comes from calcium.  So 30% (or 19.2 mg/L) should be the magnesium content.  That would mean 44.8 would be calcium.  But since calcium is listed already (13.9), do I add the 44.8 to 13.9, or is should I subtract the 13.9 from the 64.1 to get 50.2 for the magnesium?  Ultimately I am wondering what numbers I need to put in a water calculator. 

Unfortunately, that generalization isn't worth much. The amount of calcium or magnesium CANNOT be generalized since it is totally dependent upon the minerals the water contacted on its way to your tap. A 70/30 split between Ca and Mg may be correct in some waters, but more than likely, its not.

If the hardness and calcium values from the water report are correct, then the magnesium content is more like 7 ppm.

It's sad to see misinformation like that on the web...but it does exist.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:45:13 pm »

Unfortunately, that generalization isn't worth much. The amount of calcium or magnesium CANNOT be generalized since it is totally dependent upon the minerals the water contacted on its way to your tap. A 70/30 split between Ca and Mg may be correct in some waters, but more than likely, its not.

If the hardness and calcium values from the water report are correct, then the magnesium content is more like 7 ppm.

Hey thanks for the response.  I was a bit skeptical of this and thats why I wanted to ask here whilst continuing my research.  This forum has provided some great advice over the past few years.  I did manage to work it out and got exactly what you said.  Mg is about 7.2.  Also found out that I have "moderately hard" water.  A little gypsum and CaCl2 and some lactic acid and my water should be good to go both in mineral content and pH. 

And thanks for the awesome program... putting all the CORRECT numbers in Bru'n water makes it much easier to work with :-)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:47:50 pm by madscientist »
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 08:21:39 pm »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:06 am »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Especially from braukaiser! Shame on him. ;-)

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:40 am »

Hey thanks for the response.  I was a bit skeptical of this and thats why I wanted to ask here whilst continuing my research.  This forum has provided some great advice over the past few years.  I did manage to work it out and got exactly what you said.  Mg is about 7.2.  Also found out that I have "moderately hard" water.  A little gypsum and CaCl2 and some lactic acid and my water should be good to go both in mineral content and pH. 

And thanks for the awesome program... putting all the CORRECT numbers in Bru'n water makes it much easier to work with :-)

and if you are using RO water - it doesn't usually take much lactic acid to move the ph meter into your target...ive found weighing the liquid on calibrated scale vs trying to hit a specific ml is much easier better accuracy.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:29 pm »

I don't believe there is any misinformation on  Kai's website regarding this.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=At_home_water_testing

The number comes from fitting observed data which is obviously something anyone modeling mash pH in a spreadsheet is comfortable with.