Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast starter  (Read 2287 times)

Offline buddha

• 1st Kit
Yeast starter
« on: March 06, 2014, 04:15:54 am »
Ok, kind of a stupid question and I think I know the answer but.........   I am doing a 2000 ml yeast starter and I have a smack pack this time.  Should I smack the pack and dump it into my beaker or should Iet it start, then dump it into my beaker to start?  I'm guessing I just smack and dump! 

Also, when you boil your dme, do you start with 1500 ml or higher to equal 2000.  I have only done this process once so I am still learning.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Yeast starter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:24:57 am »
Smacking: either way is fine. Proof it if you're unsure of viability, or just smack n pitch

Personally,  I make my starter wort in advance by canning it. So I always have plenty of room temp starter on hand. But as to how much volume to start with, whatever works for you is fine. Just be sure that your dilution water is sterile.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:18:34 am »
I smack, wait for swell and then pitch into a starter if I need one. I brew mostly smaller batches so I don't always need a starter off a smack pack.

The smack pack won't add that much volume to your starter. Make your starter based on whatever volume your starter needs to be.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:02:02 am »
I allow my smack packs to rise to room temperature 68-70*, then smack, shake and let stand for a couple hours to see if it swells up as a sort of crude viability check.  Prepare my starter, cool it to 70* sanitize the smack pack and pitch to the starter. Place on stir plate. Stare with wonder.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Yeast starter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:11 am »
Unless you're smacking several hours in advance it doesn't matter. That's just to show you if the yeast is viable or not. If you make a starter you'll be able to see.

I usually make 400-600 ml more than my desired final starter volume to account for boil off.
Trey W.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:14 am »
Unless you're smacking several hours in advance it doesn't matter. That's just to show you if the yeast is viable or not. If you make a starter you'll be able to see.

I usually make 400-600 ml more than my desired final starter volume to account for boil off.

good advice!

Also, whatever approach you take try  not to shock the yeast by rapidly/instantaneously changing their temperature more than 10*F.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:04 pm »
I simply smack and pitch into the cooled starter wort.

I use a 10:1 ratio of DME to water ie: 100grams to 1L, etc.

I also simply boil for 5-10 minutes since the reality is all you are doing is ensuring your starter is sanitized. There is no need to actually boil anything off since you want your starter gravity to be 1.035-1.040 and no higher.

There is also no need to let the yeast warm up prior to pitching, yeast don't mind going from cold to warm, it's the reverse that's an issue.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline buddha

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
Very good advice.  I started the brew game over 20 years ago and I am back into it, so all this info is great to hear again and for the first time.  I did a starter for my first batch of Furious Clone and it went nuts on the primary, so hopfully I can duplicate  tomorrow night!