Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A beer by another name.  (Read 2916 times)

Offline neilrobinson

• Cellarman
A beer by another name.
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:20:24 am »
I was talking with someone about a beer he brewed, which is an established recipe. He told me that he changed the bittering and finishing hops in the beer. Now that's fine with me but the debate came when he is calling it the same name as the established recipe. Wouldn't changing the hop profile change the beer to something new?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: A beer by another name.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:49 am »
I don't believe in naming any beer after something that it's modeled after. It's your beer, you name it! Not because of any copyright issues, but because of a pride thing. Why wouldn't you want to name your own beer?
Frank

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:07:29 am »
As long as he is not calling it a Blonde Stout or a Black India Pale Ale I'm good.  ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:07:48 am »
Does it taste different? He can name it what he wants. I have in the past when making tweaks.

During the hop shortage days, commercial brewers had to change up some of the hops used in their beers, as the usual hops were in short supply. The names did not change, as the worked to get the flavor as close as they could.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:10:57 am »

During the hop shortage days, commercial brewers had to change up some of the hops used in their beers, as the usual hops were in short supply. The names did not change, as the worked to get the flavor as close as they could.

Yep

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:27:46 am »
I don't believe in naming any beer after something that it's modeled after. It's your beer, you name it! Not because of any copyright issues, but because of a pride thing. Why wouldn't you want to name your own beer?
As long as he is not calling it a Blonde Stout or a Black India Pale Ale I'm good.  ;)
Would you rather is was called Cross Dressing Amateur?

I don't really see the issue...he can call his beer whatever he wants. It's his version of that beer. Hell, if the brewer wants to call his beer a pale stout, more power to him. I probably won't drink it.
Jesse

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:59 am »
I name each of my beers Bud Lite. Really confuses people.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:33:58 am »

I don't really see the issue...he can call his beer whatever he wants. It's his version of that beer. Hell, if the brewer wants to call his beer a pale stout, more power to him. I probably won't drink it.

Funny how "cascadian dark ale" just didn't stick, eh.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:50 am »
I was talking with someone about a beer he brewed, which is an established recipe. He told me that he changed the bittering and finishing hops in the beer. Now that's fine with me but the debate came when he is calling it the same name as the established recipe. Wouldn't changing the hop profile change the beer to something new?

Yes, it would.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:25 am »

Funny how "cascadian dark ale" just didn't stick, eh.
I still see it around and roll my eyes every time I see it. I see black IPA a lot more than Cascadian Douchewater Ale.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:49:46 pm »
Some hop changes would be dramatic, others unnoticeable. Add that brewing techniques will affect the outcome as much as recipe and I'd say you have a definite maybe. But overall I wouldn't be worrying about it much.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 05:57:31 pm »
Im looking forward to the independence vote this fall. Im curious what we will be calling 9A, B, and C if Scotland is no longer on the £ system. Im not sure "80 Bit Coin" has the same ring to it.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:51 pm »
I think what Neil is getting at here is that his buddy brewed something like Denny's RIPA or Waldo Lake Amber and then changed up the established recipe, but is still calling it by the accepted name. 

So yeah, I'd agree that if he's made significant changes to a 'famous' homebrew recipe, then he should call it something else.  Kind of a branding issue in a way.  Like the fake Brewdog pub in China. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:08 pm »
I think what Neil is getting at here is that his buddy brewed something like Denny's RIPA or Waldo Lake Amber and then changed up the established recipe, but is still calling it by the accepted name. 

So yeah, I'd agree that if he's made significant changes to a 'famous' homebrew recipe, then he should call it something else.  Kind of a branding issue in a way.  Like the fake Brewdog pub in China.
Denny's Wry Smile IPA made by replacing Mt. Hood with Liberty would be hard to detect. Replace MT. Hood with Citra, then rename it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 06:52:50 am »

Denny's Wry Smile IPA made by replacing Mt. Hood with Liberty would be hard to detect. Replace MT. Hood with Citra, then rename it.

+1
Jon H.