Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Hops  (Read 3215 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
German Hops
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:16 am »
I am wondering what variety of hops folks are using for their German style beers these days. I understand Hallertau Mittelfruh is very desireable. I have used US Hallertau and US Tettnang from Hops Direct. HD is allegedly waiting on a shipment from Germany. I am planning to place an order very soon and wanted to get some feedback from the forum

What if any difference has anyone found in the German vs US grown varieties?
Ron Price

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Re: German Hops
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:44 am »
I've used Hallertauer Hersbrucker (not Mittlefruh), Saaz, Spalter, Tettnanger, and Magnum - All German varieties.  I know there are some differences between the German and US varieties, but can't offer specific comments because I've only used the German varieties purchased at the LHBS.  I've also used some Sterling in a Hefeweizen as a sub for Saaz with good results.  Even a particular variety will differ somewhat with where it is grown because of variation in weather, soil, and other growing conditions.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:39:26 am »
i think its mostly a matter of freshness.  I used to think brewhobby was crazy when he said he preferred US tett to GR, especially since he was such an ardent traditionalist with regard to lager brewing, but in the past 2 years, I've brewed a lot of lagers (these days i'm about 60/40 lager/ale split) and I have to say, I'm starting to agree with him.

I've not tried USHall before though.

I'm still debating about reloading my lager hops with GR when they become available or just getting domestic (US Tett/Hood/Liberty/Crystal).
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

narvin

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:43:57 pm »
I really like the German (Hallertauer) Tradition hop plugs I get at my LHBS.  They are supposedly a more disease-resistant replacement for Mittelfruh.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:46:34 pm by narvin »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »
They say, and having used both, I'd have to agree, that Mt. Hood makes a better sub for the German Hallertau types than does US Hallertau.
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »
They say, and having used both, I'd have to agree, that Mt. Hood makes a better sub for the German Hallertau types than does US Hallertau.

That's because it's a triploid seedling of the German Hallertauer variety. I really like the flavor and aroma of Mt Hood.
Ron Price

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:42 pm »
just ordered mount hood from freshops.  i hope they turn out  8)
Don AHA member

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »
I think of Mt. Hood as a multi-use hop. I use it in English, American, Belgian, and German styles; and it seems to do all those jobs nicely.