Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sulfur Smell from 1 Month Old Beer  (Read 2732 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Sulfur Smell from 1 Month Old Beer
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:56:02 am »
I brewed a clone of Dog Fish Head's Raison D'etre. A simple malt bill with 8 ounces of raisins, fermented with WLP530. The beer fermented at 70-72F, then dropped to 42F to clear and prepare for kegging. It sat at 72f for about a week and at 42f for three weeks.

Although I cannot get taste any off-flavors, I get a sulfur smell off this month old beer. The beer tastes great but that smell right-off the pour is concerning. It seems to dissipate quick when poured.

Any ideas what may have caused this and is there anything I can do?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:18:26 am by ultravista »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Sulfur Smell from 1 Month Old Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:36:35 am »
try purging the keg a few times. if it blows off quickly when you pour a pint it might well blow off the sulfur from the keg.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:56 am »
Could you have an infection in your lines?  If it pours of quickyl it means the beer inside the keg is still ok, correct?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:18:46 am »
I flushed the lines with PBW. I also noticed it with the same taken from the carboy. It's there, but not immediately apparent. Something that I am picking up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:13:26 pm »
Sulfur always disappears with age.  It will probably be gone in another week or two, although sometimes it takes a little longer.  It might be coming from the raisins, possibly.  Regardless, just needs a little more age.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:26:20 pm »
Sulfur always disappears with age.  It will probably be gone in another week or two, although sometimes it takes a little longer.  It might be coming from the raisins, possibly.  Regardless, just needs a little more age.

+1.  A lot of Belgian strains throw sulfur initially. It'll dissipate away pretty quickly. +1 to purging the keg a few times, too.
Jon H.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:05:40 pm »
This my first batch with raisins - I hope that's it  :-\

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 02:23:52 pm »
This my first batch with raisins - I hope that's it  :-\

I can't tell you it isn't, but I've never gotten that from raisins.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:11:31 pm »
I've gotten it from dates... and wild yeast.  The ancient Sumerian beer.  The sulfur disappeared in a few weeks though.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 06:48:56 am »
How much copper is in your brewing system? If there is no wort contact with copper, the wort may be copper-deficient. Copper complexes with sulfurous compounds and drops them out of solution. One of my clubmates put a piece on copper tube in a problematic beer for a few minutes and he said it cleared out his sulfur problem.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:56:02 am »
How much copper is in your brewing system? If there is no wort contact with copper, the wort may be copper-deficient. Copper complexes with sulfurous compounds and drops them out of solution. One of my clubmates put a piece on copper tube in a problematic beer for a few minutes and he said it cleared out his sulfur problem.

Yes, this has worked for me as well. Take a piece of copper and put it in the beer and swirl it around for a few minutes and you will noticed the copper fades significantly. If you are not using a copper IC or CFC add a piece of copper to your BK.

Sulfur does age out with time but it may take several weeks or even months depending. You can also bubble Co2 up through the beer via the did tube and see if that works.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 07:32:30 am »
My keggle has a copper dip tube, the wort is in contact with the dip tube for at least 100 minutes.

I purged the keg and it seems to have done the trick (thus far).

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »
Were the raisins sulfured as a preservative? Some dried fruits are sulfured as a means of preservation. That could be one source. Another potential source might be yeast autolysis, which can apparently lend a sulfur-like aroma.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:55:55 pm »
I bought the raisins at Trader Joes. Not sure if they were sulfured as the bag is long gone. The beer sat on the yeast cake for 1 month. About a week or more @ 72F then down to 40 F for clarifying.