Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My home-grown dried hops in freezer bags. Good 4 how long?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
My home-grown dried hops in freezer bags. Good 4 how long?
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:13:48 pm »
I have home-grown Fuggle, Chinook and Nugget sealed tight with all the air pushed out of the freezer bags the best I could. (no food sealer available) These are 2013 crop...

Are they still viable now to brew with, or would I just use more of them? I just used some Fuggle and Nugget in a brew last week, so I am hoping they still do well. They still smelled good anyway....Just wondering,

Thanks all

Lyle

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: My home-grown dried hops in freezer bags. Good 4 how long?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
As long as they smell good, use em! Id keep them to dryhopping since you dont have an AA analysis, but if you dont care about bitterness being off a tad, use em before you lose em!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:07:47 pm »
Thanks. I will definitely do so! This years plants are already up to my gutters on the house! :) 3rd year plants...

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:45:11 pm »
I left a small bag in my freezer by mistake for one year. They were black as coal. So one year = bad in my experience. Also, I noticed a bit of off flavor with Nugget hops after 6 months. Still used them, but noticed an odd grassy flavor. My Chinook hops seemed to be better at aging.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

narvin

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:46:53 am »
If you go through all the trouble of growing hops, I suggest you at least invest in a cheap vacuum sealer.  Your hops will thank you.

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:41 pm »
If you go through all the trouble of growing hops, I suggest you at least invest in a cheap vacuum sealer.  Your hops will thank you.

A valid point. We actually had one before I got into brewing, but never used it. Go figure...lol. Time to get another one.  :)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:39:29 pm »

A valid point. We actually had one before I got into brewing, but never used it. Go figure...lol. Time to get another one.  :)

Yeah... Start buying your hops in bulk and save money. I used my food savor for hops and when I get a whole delmonico cut lol
Frank