Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blue cheese beer  (Read 3934 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Blue cheese beer
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:58:23 pm »
I'm in the Everett, WA area for a couple of days. I visited 3 breweries so far.  Scuttlebutt was quite good, and McMenamins is a 'don't bother.'   The most interesting is a little nano brewery named Justice Brewing.  It was there that I tried a sour beer fermented with blue cheese cultures. The nose was totally blue cheese, but the flavor only carried hints of it.  It was surprisingly good.  about half of his beers were sour.  All were decent.  Some quite good.  Worth a try if you have opportunity.

He brews in the garage behind his house and was very welcoming.  A nice guy with a very interesting take on beer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Blue cheese beer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:47:55 pm »
Nate is a good dude. He is a member of my homebrew club.

If you are still in town, I can meet up with you, and take you to a few good breweries or beer bars.

My favorites up north are Diamond Knot and American. Go to Special Brews for a great bottle shop with taps.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
I've had a few sour beers that had some blue cheese or parmesan notes.  It sounds gross, but I actually liked them.  I don't think they were fermented with blue cheese cultures, aka Penicillium Roqueforti.  I assume the cheese came from using aged hops. I wouldn't hesitate to drink a blue cheese beer made in some dude's garage.  Sounds legit!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
Nate's doing some good stuff, but I didn't hear about that one yet.  Sounds interesting!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:52:53 am »
Nate's doing some good stuff, but I didn't hear about that one yet.  Sounds interesting!

My daughter and son-in-law live just around the corner from the Blue Bird.  I stopped in there yesterday hoping to see you Tom.  I know you are busy with the new project, so wasn't surprised when I didn't get to meet you.  Another time.  I get that way fairly regularly
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:39:19 pm »

My daughter and son-in-law live just around the corner from the Blue Bird.  I stopped in there yesterday hoping to see you Tom.  I know you are busy with the new project, so wasn't surprised when I didn't get to meet you.  Another time.  I get that way fairly regularly
I don't work there anymore, I gave notice to focus on my own stuff.  I finished training my replacement last week. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 07:31:05 am »
McMenamins is a 'don't bother.'   

How are these things staying in business?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:54:42 am »

Because they are really cool spaces.  It's not always about the beer.  My wife and I have stayed at the Kennedy School in Portland several times and at the St. Francis Inn in Bend.  We both recommend them highly.
Their core beers are fairly bland, but sometimes they have seasonals that are very good.
The Boiler Room bar at the Kennedy School is fun just to see.  All the fixtures are made from repurposed plumbing fixtures.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:12 am »

I agree with Jeffy, but would add that what I think is going on with McMenamins is that they appear to have started not-recently when the brewery was a novelty to market the restaurant which is the main business.  Which is to say the food was good.

@ Tom: I knew you were transitioning, but did not realize you had pulled the plug at Blue Bird.  Well, I look forward to meeting you at your new digs!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 02:20:17 am »
@ Tom: I knew you were transitioning, but did not realize you had pulled the plug at Blue Bird.  Well, I look forward to meeting you at your new digs!
Give me 3 months if we win the lottery either metaphorically or literally.  Probably 5 months is more realistic.  Or more. :(
Tom Schmidlin

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:34:50 am »

Because they are really cool spaces.  It's not always about the beer.  My wife and I have stayed at the Kennedy School in Portland several times and at the St. Francis Inn in Bend.  We both recommend them highly.
Their core beers are fairly bland, but sometimes they have seasonals that are very good.
The Boiler Room bar at the Kennedy School is fun just to see.  All the fixtures are made from repurposed plumbing fixtures.

My wife and I stopped in the one in Bend because it was part of the ale trail and I'll agree, the building was really cool but everybody seems to have the "don't bother" attitude about them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 02:31:12 pm »

My wife and I stopped in the one in Bend because it was part of the ale trail and I'll agree, the building was really cool but everybody seems to have the "don't bother" attitude about them.

The outdoor patio bar there is fantastic, especially on a cool evening next to a fire pit.  They also have a very good gin and a decent bourbon.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995