Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition 2014  (Read 2122 times)

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
    • Alaska Beer and Brewing
E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition 2014
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:17:58 am »
Announcing the 18th Annual E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition!

This is a AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition.

The grand prize for Best of Show is a certified check for $500!!!

Great prizes and custom medals will also be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of each of the seven judged categories.

The seven categories that will be judged are: Bock (5A-D), English Pale Ale (8A-C), American Ale (10A-C), Porter (12A-C), Stout (13A-F), IPA (14A-C) and Fruit/Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer (20 & 21A).

Entries will be accepted: June 23 - July 16, 2014

Entry fees: Submit three 12-16 oz brown or green crown capped bottles and a check or money order for $5.00 in U.S. funds per entry.

Judging: Judging will take place on Saturday, July 19th.

Location: Fox, Alaska (a small mining community ~11 miles north of Fairbanks)

More information as well as Entry and Bottle ID forms may be foundi at: http://ow.ly/u5qqC.

Should you have any questions or are interesting in judging contact Scott Stihler at stihlerunits@mosquitobytes.com or (907) 474-2138.
Is beer a vegetable?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
Alaska! That's pretty cool.  Though I suspect that 3 bottles + shipping will put me out of it.  Good luck with the competition.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »
The shipping costs can be fairly expensive.

We try to give entrants a nice prize package just for entering to somewhat help offset the costs.

A lot people enter with friends and split the costs which can make the shipping costs a bit more reasonable.

- Scott
Is beer a vegetable?

Offline mbarnaby

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:20:33 pm »
Is there any chance there will be a drop off location in juneau like they do for the haines competition.

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:43:45 pm »
Is there any chance there will be a drop off location in juneau like they do for the haines competition.

Probably not.

You have to realize the running of this competition is by a committee of two (i.e. my wife and me). Our money and efforts are better spent on catering the judging, purchasing medals, tote bags, hot sauce, glasses etc. and shipping of the prize packages. Plus, of course, making up any short-fall in entry fees to cover the cash prize.

Also it would kind of kind of negate a special offer we have to encourage judges. We allow them to hand deliver their entries and thereby save of shipping costs. Of course, we do require them to pre-register the entries so all the paperwork is ready prior to the event.

This our 18th year of the competition and our focus right now is rebuilding our base of qualified judges after several have moved away.

- Scott

Is beer a vegetable?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:48:52 pm »

Probably not.

You have to realize the running of this competition is by a committee of two (i.e. my wife and me). Our money and efforts are better spent on catering the judging, purchasing medals, tote bags, hot sauce, glasses etc. and shipping of the prize packages. Plus, of course, making up any short-fall in entry fees to cover the cash prize.

Also it would kind of kind of negate a special offer we have to encourage judges. We allow them to hand deliver their entries and thereby save of shipping costs. Of course, we do require them to pre-register the entries so all the paperwork is ready prior to the event.

This our 18th year of the competition and our focus right now is rebuilding our base of qualified judges after several have moved away.

- Scott

Sounds like the two of you do a very nice job. Well done.
Jon H.

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:23 pm »
Please join me in congratulating Steven Jayich of Anchorage for winning Best of Show (and the $500) in this year's competition.

The wining beer was a wonderfully hoppy American Pale Ale.

Complete details as well as pictures of the judging may be found at: http://www.mosquitobytes.com/Den/Beer/Events/ETB2014/ETB2014.html.

I would like to thank everybody you entered the 2014 E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition! Thank you for your support!!

- Scott
Is beer a vegetable?