Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Am I being too anal?  (Read 9954 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Am I being too anal?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 07:07:45 pm »
+1.  And FWIW, that's why I rack into a purged keg, dry hop a week @ room temp, and then cold crash under force carbing pressure - no rush of air occurs inward until the keg's empty, .
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 07:37:09 pm »
Try the newly invented Klickitat Jim method. Inspired by the blowing CO2 comment.

Near the end of active fermentation stretch a large balloon over the airlock. When full of CO2 and fermentation is done, cold crash. Any shrinkage should be compensated for by the positive CO2 pressure in the balloon.

Of course all of this must be done in a 100% CO2 purged room.

BTW, I don't do this nor do I worry about room air touching the surface of my beer. Do I splash it around or blow bubbles through it? No, but why would I need to?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:47:32 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »
You are clearly on the right track Jim.  Now I need to buy a scuba breather and purge my garage with CO2 before a cold crash.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 05:06:45 am »
My takeaway from this is that doing something is better than doing nothing, but don't go beyond your means in worrying about it.  I have racked to purged keg as my SOP for quite a while, but now I have to consider purging my auto siphon....I recall Charlie Papazian recommending a tube of water to start the siphon - dumping this into an empty pail, then letting the beer flow into your bottles when bottling.  Maybe that's another way to go with kegs, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 05:18:11 am »
My takeaway from this is that doing something is better than doing nothing, but don't go beyond your means in worrying about it. 

^^THIS^^.    Same here.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 05:17:23 pm »
My takeaway from this is that doing something is better than doing nothing, but don't go beyond your means in worrying about it.  I have racked to purged keg as my SOP for quite a while, but now I have to consider purging my auto siphon....I recall Charlie Papazian recommending a tube of water to start the siphon - dumping this into an empty pail, then letting the beer flow into your bottles when bottling.  Maybe that's another way to go with kegs, too.

Your true best bet is to push the finished beer closed transfer with CO2 directly from the primary into the liquid out post of the corny keg.  With this technique all transfer lines are purged with CO2 before beer enters them.

I do like Jim's idea with the balloon though.  Kind of cool...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »
Not original. My pappy used to start his mead with a blowoff, and once the bubbles quit he'd put this huge necked balloon over the top of the carboy. Balloon would slowly fill and when it stopped and started sagging it was done.

That was about 1974...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 07:30:09 pm »
Not original. My pappy used to start his mead with a blowoff, and once the bubbles quit he'd put this huge necked balloon over the top of the carboy. Balloon would slowly fill and when it stopped and started sagging it was done.

That was about 1974...

It's called a condom, Jim...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »
Oh, cool. I've never seen one before.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »
You're adding just as much air when you open and throw in the dry hops.  I just don't worry about it until it's time to rack, and then I make sure the receiving keg is fully purged with CO2.

I'd also be careful about using a stopper and creating a vacuum... have you ever seen a commercial fermenter that has imploded?  Not a pretty sight.

This is illustrative. Steam cleaned, then the valve was shut, cooled off, Kablamo!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h5l0K62n8B4
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 08:02:47 am »
Try the newly invented Klickitat Jim method. Inspired by the blowing CO2 comment.

Near the end of active fermentation stretch a large balloon over the airlock. When full of CO2 and fermentation is done, cold crash. Any shrinkage should be compensated for by the positive CO2 pressure in the balloon.

Of course all of this must be done in a 100% CO2 purged room.

BTW, I don't do this nor do I worry about room air touching the surface of my beer. Do I splash it around or blow bubbles through it? No, but why would I need to?

Some guy on-line (there's always someone, right) has rigged up a system like this where you collect the CO2 generated from fermentation and use it to carbonate.  My recollection (its been years since I saw the website) is that he modified a bicycle pump to push the CO2 back into whatever vessel he was carbonating in. Had to be some kind of keg, but like I said it was years ago.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 08:06:17 am »

This is illustrative. Steam cleaned, then the valve was shut, cooled off, Kablamo!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h5l0K62n8B4

Whoa, that's impressive !
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2014, 08:08:04 am »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2014, 09:02:51 am »
Do you agree that plastic wrap is probably gas permeable and that oxygen can enter underneath the foil as the temps inside the headspace in the fermenter cool down and get sucked in?

I think the real issue is this - is the amount of oxygen that ingresses with any of these techniques something to worry about, or is it negligible and not worth bothering over?  A dissolved O2 meter would be really handy for this!

That's the point.  I can't say that there's oxygen ingress with either method becasue I've never seen the effects of it using those methods.  That means that either it doesn't happen, or that the effects are so slight as to be discountable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 11:13:21 am »
http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonation/PumpSystem.htm

Here's the CO2 recovery and pump thing.
That's interesting. The coolest thing I learned on my recent tour of the Sierra Nevada brewery is that they capture their co2 from fermentation, so they went from 4 trucks a week of co2 to 4 trucks a year. It's a fascinating idea and I wish us homebrewers could have something like that so we could limit the amount of co2 we have to buy. I think it'd be a bit pricey and maybe too complicated for me.
Jesse