Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% head  (Read 3823 times)

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
100% head
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:33:43 pm »
I poped open a few bottles of my latest brew and each one erupted.  The entire bottle turned to foam.  Within in a minutes every ounce of liquid turns into foam. 

I know I screwed something up, but I'm not sure what?

Any similar experiences out there?
Ol' Edge Brew  -  Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends

Offline wzl46

• Cellarman
Re: 100% head
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »
From what I understand, this could be an infection from a sanitizing issue.  It has only happened to me on one bottle from a batch a couple years ago.  All the other bottles from that batch were OK.
Yeast infections are only bad when they don't happen to wort.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »
Either the fermentation was not complete when bottling occurred or you experienced a sanitation issue.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline captnjohnny1618

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 02:10:13 pm »
Yeah, when any of the aforementioned things happen it causes too much CO2 to go into solution with the beer. Then, when starts coming out of solution, (i.e. when the pressure is released) it comes out too quickly causing all of the beer to turn to foam.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »
I poped open a few bottles of my latest brew and each one erupted.  The entire bottle turned to foam.  Within in a minutes every ounce of liquid turns into foam. 

I know I screwed something up, but I'm not sure what?

Any similar experiences out there?

How long did you let the beer ferment before you bottled it?  Can you post the recipe?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »
As others have mentioned, it is most likely either bottling after incomplete fermentation or an infection.

What I want to add is that you should be very careful around these bottles. Honestly, I would carefully un-cap them all and dump them out. If it continues to ferment, you might have a bunch of bottle bombs on your hand.

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »
The recipe was a very simple extract lager recipe that I had thrown together.  I gave it 9 days in the primary at 50*F and then 10 days in the secondary at 45*F.  My air stop wasn't bubbling but every few minutes, and visually the beer seemed to be at a complete standstill.  I did not take a hydrometer reading. I don't have a ton of experience but to my knowledge it had completed fermenting. 

I'm thinking it's a sanitation issue. 

I'm not sure if there is a simpler (or more correct) way to sanitize bottles but I sanitized my bottles using a 72 min, added heat wash in my dishwasher.  This has always worked for me in the past.  Does anyone have a better way to sanitize? 

I'm thinking something must have got into the beer itself, because every bottle I have opened has been the same characteristics.   I think that I need to spend a little time soaking all my equipment in bleach water and I may need to grab a new Better Bottle just to be safe.  Cross your fingers that the beer that is in there now isn't screwed up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:50:27 pm »
What yeast and how much?  Based on your short fermentation schedule, I don't think it was finished.  You were fermenting at a low temp, which takes longer.  And I don't trust visual signs....I trust my hydrometer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:33:50 pm »
+1

Let your hydrometer be your guide.

Chalk it up as a valuable lesson. Next time estimate where you need to be in gravity units and react accordingly.

Good Luck.
Ron Price

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »
It was a White Labs German Lager yeast.

Lessoned learned.  Sadly it took 52 bottles dumped down the drain.