Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: F Cancer  (Read 2653 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: F Cancer
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »
Lost my dad to Leukemia at the age of 45 - 32 years ago, so.. yeah.

The problem with "curing cancer" is that cancer is a broad catch all for a bunch of different syndromes caused by multiple things. There isn't one cure, but they're making a ton of progress. If my dad were to have had his leukemia today, he'd probably survive.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 06:36:44 am »
I believe my grandfather would probably have survived today, but when he died 42 years ago it just wasn't possible. I think we can cure it, but it will be one type at a time unless they find a common thread. The problem I see is there are far too many cancer research charities with little to no funding out of their charity for research, but that is fodder for another topic. I think everyone has been touched by cancer and every small donation to a quality charity is potentially the penny which would help find the solution!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »
Thanks for bringing this up. 

Whenever my club participates in an event with an information table, I give out prostate cancer wristbands.  I buy them as give-aways, 50 at a time, from www.ustoo.org which is also a recipient of funds from www.pintsforprostates.org

My personal interest is that five years ago today, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 51.  (No history in my family.)  Seems like forever ago.  But two surgeries later, plus radiation and hormone therapy :o, and my PSA level is now undetectable.  I get tested every six months.  Probably another 5 years to go before my doctor will utter the word "cured".  My cancer had already spread, but I probably would have never known but for early testing.  My doctors were amazing...they are my heroes.

The federal government, and elements of the medical establishment, claim that prostate cancer is over-diagnosed and over-treated.  F them in addition to cancer.  If those DBs had their way, I would never have been tested, never biopsied, never diagnosed, and for all I know I'd be sitting here now with incurable cancer in my bones.

So, get tested...live longer...drink more beer!
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org