Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Membership  (Read 3470 times)

Offline woodynumbers

• 1st Kit
Membership
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:22 pm »
Hey guys.  I just registered today so please don't unleash your inner troll.

My questions is this.. I live in the booming metropolis of Charleston, WV.  The closest place I could use my AHA membership for a discount is 3 hours away.  There are no homebrew shops in my area.  I usually order stuff online.  That being said, without discounts anywhere reasonable to where I live, what would be the perks of becoming a member of the AHA?

Also curious, do you get a membership card to show places that offer the discount.

Thank you for your time.

-Woody Numbers
www.WoodyNumbers.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Membership
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

The trolls tend to be very well behaved for the most part.

I have been a member for almost 4 years now and I've probably used my discount two or three times max. It was great when I found myself somewhere I could use it but locally most of the places I go give me as good or better discounts based on my homebrew club affiliation so I don't use the AHA discounts.

I do love getting the magazine every other month (wish it was more often but you take what you can get). The opportunity to attend NHC (The conference) and compete in NHC (the contest), the ability to vote for the governing committee, and the satisfaction of knowing you are helping out a good organization that helps expand our hobby and protect our rights are the big selling points for me.

You do get a card to show for discounts.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »
Come on, man. Don't assume there's a bunch of trolls here. That's kinda trolling itself in a way. Relax and enjoy the forum! And welcome! Bunch of good folks here.

As far as the discounts go, the reason I support the AHA is because it supports your beer drinking privileges. I have been a member for 10 years and only used my discount once.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:06:34 pm »
Aside from the discounts, the magazine, research funding, and lobbying are the big reasons to support the AHA.

I have maybe recouped 20% of my membership costs in discounts.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:10:52 pm »
Honestly - this forum is worth the price of membership. Its a fantastic resource.

The NHC presentations are also a valuable resource. NHC is so jam-packed with great presentations by folks that know. their. stuff. Flip through those when you have a chance! I put them on my phone like podcasts. Only one dud that I can think of...  :o
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »
Honestly - this forum is worth the price of membership. Its a fantastic resource.

The NHC presentations are also a valuable resource. NHC is so jam-packed with great presentations by folks that know. their. stuff. Flip through those when you have a chance! I put them on my phone like podcasts. Only one dud that I can think of...  :o

you mean that insufferable presentation on brewing sour beers at the 2013 NHC?  ;)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:43:09 pm »
I totally agree with the other forum members. I've used my discount card a handful of times ever, and I feel like the membership is a steal - if all it got me in return was inclusion in the lobbying body that expands and protects our homebrewing rights, I'd feel it was $$ well spent. But I get an invite to NHC (conference and comp), the excellent magazine, and discount card to boot. 

And Kyle is right - the forum alone is worth the price of the membership. IMO the best brewing info on the net is here. Don't even need to be a troll to use it.         ;)
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 04:09:10 pm »
Getting Zymurgy every other month and also getting all the back copies electronically is worth it for me. Haven't had the opportunity to get discounts so far.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

Membership
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:09:21 pm »
I support AHA because they helped making home brewing legal in my state.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:26:31 pm by alestateyall »

Offline woodynumbers

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »
I get way over my membership cost in discounts every year. Used it 4 times this week alone. But zymurgy,  the forum, the nhc, and promotion of the hobby all are worth the cost on their own
- Charles

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:12:54 am »
Hey, I met Denny at NHC.  Nuff said!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:36 am »
I've been a card carrying member since 1997 and so far have not used the discounts even once.  Zymurgy alone would be worth the price of admission for me.  Supporting the lobbying efforts in every state and in Washington, the endless supply of bumper stickers and the book discounts are just icing on the cake.

Welcome to the forum!  As others have mention we really don't troll here so fear not.   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:08:41 am »
Between the mag and access to the NHC presentations that pretty much pays for the membership.

There aren't many places locally that accept the discount and I've been lazy about using it on trips at places where I would get a discount but if you travel to a beer destination you can get huge savings. The first time I went to Colorado I think between my wife and I we saved what we paid for the membership that year. I was able to break out the AHA card almost as much as I did the credit card to pay for beer.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 09:57:35 am »
+1 to all said above.

If you travel there is an app for places with pub discounts.

You get a chance at buying  a GABF members session if you can jump through hoops quickly.

The NHC, anyone mention that?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!