Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 25G RIMS Burner Help  (Read 6828 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
25G RIMS Burner Help
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:39:16 am »
Looking at 32 tip jet burners.  Overkill?

Also, I have a 3/4" pipe which I guess I'll need to reduce to 1/2" to fit the burners.  Do you think that will work or should I look for 3/4" burners?

And what is the difference between the pipe size and the orifice size on the ASCO valves?

Thanks.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 25G RIMS Burner Help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »
OK, no answers yet, but I have another question.  What gap should I leave between the burners and the kettles?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:22 am »
OK, still more questions than answers.  Has anyone tried a rotary switch on the pumps to regulate flow or does everyone use the valves?  Wouldn't that churn the beer when it was not fully open?
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:26 am »
Bueller? 
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:25:43 am »
OK, still more questions than answers.  Has anyone tried a rotary switch on the pumps to regulate flow or does everyone use the valves?  Wouldn't that churn the beer when it was not fully open?
I use a valve on the output. Doesn't seem to cause problems. The pumps are impeller pumps, so internal leakage around the impeller is what happens, as opposed to a positive displacement pump which does not have much leakage and are sometimes designed to close the side plate gaps with higher pressure (power steering vane pumps).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
Ive run my pump wide open for the whole boil, and ive run it for just whirlpool, noticed zero difference. There probably is some difference but not enough for me to notice.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:36 am »
OK, no answers yet, but I have another question.  What gap should I leave between the burners and the kettles?

Dave

The gap between the bottom of the kettle and the top of the burner tip on my system is 4 1/8", and if using the KAB4 banjo burner like I have on my system, then I would recommend decreasing the gap to about 3".  It really depends on the type of burner that you're planning to utilize.
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:37:52 am »

Dave

The gap between the bottom of the kettle and the top of the burner tip on my system is 4 1/8", and if using the KAB4 banjo burner like I have on my system, then I would recommend decreasing the gap to about 3".  It really depends on the type of burner that you're planning to utilize.

Thanks Ron!  Looking to go with 32 tip jet burners.  160,000 BTU.
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:14:03 am »

Dave

Thanks Ron!  Looking to go with 32 tip jet burners.  160,000 BTU.

My advice to you is to design it such that you will be able to adjust the burners for maximum efficiency.
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:22:52 am »
I agree.  Trying to come up with a design that will allow me to raise/lower the burners if needed.  Also might do a bench test/experiment to help me decide.  I'll post pics as it comes together.

Still trying to decide on valves too.  Been doing a lot of research and I think the tech guys at Asco know me by name now...

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:33 am »
I run the 20 tip jet burners with a 4" space (not adjustable) space and it works well.  I reduce from 3/4" pipe to 1/2" and have never needed to run them wide open (15 gallon boil volume in 20 gallons pots).  They are overkill for my system, but I designed it to be able to be easily upsized to 2x the batch size I'm doing now.  I left the wind shrouds open a few inches in the front to make sure there was decent air circulation around the burner. 

As for ASCO valves, pipe size is the thread size.  Orifice size is the throughput.  I'm using the Blichmann supplied 1/4" valves on mine (not on the boil kettle) and it works fine though not having to squish the line down to 1/4" from an already reduced to 1/2" line would be better.  But mine is direct fired, so I'd be turning the valve down low on the MLT anyway.  HLT gets my sparge water up to temp fine. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:12:20 am by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:41:25 am »
dcbc, thanks again for the input.  I replied on the other thread with more info.  It's coming together.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 01:26:41 pm »
Your kettle should be big enough for a couple of these under it. Each could have their own control for ultimate temperature management. I have one under my 15 gallon kettle and it works very good. Just a thought anyway...

http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-cast-iron-burner/p/30295/&sid=&eid=/
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »
Your kettle should be big enough for a couple of these under it. Each could have their own control for ultimate temperature management. I have one under my 15 gallon kettle and it works very good. Just a thought anyway...

http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-cast-iron-burner/p/30295/&sid=&eid=/

Looks good but I'm way past the point of gas vs propane.  Already have the natural gas burners bought and the garage hookup being installed on 10/2.

Dvae

Dave Zach

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 05:35:48 pm »
Just wondering how your burners turned out.  I use 20 tip burners and my jet tip to kettle is about 12".  I do like these burners, even though many do not like them. 
Jeff B