Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna/Octoberfest Maltiness  (Read 6719 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Vienna/Octoberfest Maltiness
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
Has anyone ever made a 100% Vienna beer?   I need to check through my logs, but I do not recall using more then 30% Vienna in a grist.   I used to add between 10 and 20% Vienna to my Dortmund-style lagers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:48:04 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 07:21:51 pm »
I have not done this personally but I know a guy who did.  In fact our local homebrew club the Manty Malters had a SMASH beer "competition" where we each did a SMASH (Single Malt and Single Hop) beer.  I made a Bohemian pilsner with Saaz that turned out too fruity, must have fermented a little too warm.  But anyway..... the one my friend made with 100% Vienna and Tettnanger hops was the standout awesomest beer of all that won the comp.  Everyone loved the complex toasty malt.  The Maris Otter beer took second I believe.  Somewhat personal preference, I suppose, but even so, we certainly proved, at least to ourselves in our club, that a fantastic beer can be made with all Vienna and no specialty malts.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:05 pm »
Has anyone ever made a 100% Vienna beer?   I need to check through my logs, but I do not recall using more then 30% Vienna a grist.   I used to add between 10 and 20% Vienna to my Dortmund-style lagers.

I don't think I've gone over ~ 30% myself IIRC, and it was in an O-fest. I'd be curious myself - Vienna is such a great malt.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:48 pm »
Yes, I have made an all Vienna Vienna lager, that was inspired by one Jeff Renner brought to a club meeting. It works.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 08:23:38 pm »
Id be willing to bet Gambrinus Honey malt was in the recipe.  I used it for a couple itterations of my Vienna Lager recipe... looking for a little something to add "malty" when my returned judging sheets were asking for more.  (At the time I was using a 50/50 blend of Vienna and Munich for a Vienna Lager...).  I got a very distinct "honey grahm cracker" addition to the beer that I did not care for.  It added the perception of sweetness without being overly sweet, and a unique flavor that I like in my belgians, but not in my Vienna lager. 

Below 3% was not really perceptiable, at around 10%, it took the beer too far. 
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:08 pm »

Oh you didn't get the memo? Uh, yaaaa, we're gonna need you to, kinda, stop brewing your own recipes and, ya... stick to what the book says. Mmm kay? Thanks

Movie makes me grin every time.  :D   
After 20 years working for a restaurant concept commonly made fun of in that movie, that movie makes me grin every time also. Especially since I no longer work for that concept or any restaurant! So happy to have a "normal" schedule

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »
Well, Jamil and John call for 5 pounds of Pilsener malt, 4 pounds of Munich malt, and 3 pounds of Vienna malt, along with a pound of Caramunich...so I vote for the Munich.  I use it a lot in my lagers.  Nice flavor profile.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:14 pm »

Oh you didn't get the memo? Uh, yaaaa, we're gonna need you to, kinda, stop brewing your own recipes and, ya... stick to what the book says. Mmm kay? Thanks

Movie makes me grin every time.  :D   
After 20 years working for a restaurant concept commonly made fun of in that movie, that movie makes me grin every time also. Especially since I no longer work for that concept or any restaurant! So happy to have a "normal" schedule

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk

Did you wear the proper amount of flair?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 06:36:08 am »
I just sent my Octoberfest/Fest beer to a competition and I used Pils, Munich, Vienna, and Caramunich. I'll let you know if I get slammed for the caramel malt. It seems to me that many american interpretations have a caramel malt flavor in them. Mine didn't come accross as having too much caramel maltiness (to my tastes), but rather a bit of a nuttiness.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 07:40:05 am »
I made the BCS recipe recently and spaced on using the caramunich it calls for.  IMO, it doesn't need it anyway.  It's great and very authentic without it.

Exactly!  I rarely use caramel malt darker than CaraPils these days, and when I do, I do so sparingly.  I have taken to using 1/2 to 1% pale chocolate malt to color my bitters.  At that proportion, pale chocolate malt adds complexity and color without adding roastiness.

I have no problem using whatever amount of cara/crystal is appropriate to accomplish my purposes.  But in that beer,it just isn't necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 07:41:07 am »
Has anyone ever made a 100% Vienna beer?   I need to check through my logs, but I do not recall using more then 30% Vienna in a grist.   I used to add between 10 and 20% Vienna to my Dortmund-style lagers.

Yeah, a few times, both as ale and lager.  I perceive Vienna as having a very dry taste.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 08:45:21 am »
Nope, no flair at all for me. I was the one making sure the staff was wearing enough flair. It became really difficult to have that conversation after the movie came out.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:32 am »

I made one once.  I found it to be rather bland. Slightly sweet, not a lot of malt or toasted flavor. I like it better mixed with pilsner malt.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 09:57:18 am »
I am thinking Munich is a possibility too.

I regularly use a Pils/Vienna/Munich mix in "fest" type beers (generally 50-60% on the pils, and split the other two up in different ways depending on what I am looking for).

I also try to go with some "dark munich" in the mix.  I try to use as little caramel/caramunich as I can.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:52 am »
My first attempt at an oktoberfest is currently in the fermenter. If my memory serves correct it was roughly a 4:3:2 ratio of pils to munich to Vienna with the remaining 10% being split between dark munich and some crystal 40. The crystal malt may not be traditional or necessary but I am not too worried about it as long as the result is good.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale