Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water from multiple sources  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
water from multiple sources
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:10:13 am »
I am getting ready to get my water analyzed. I inquired with the water company about which of 3 sources my water comes from and they replied that it is usually a mix. One of the treatment plants is currently down so I am likely getting a mix from the 2 other plants or possibly one.

It sounds like the content in my water will not necessarily be stable which causes concern for me when getting my water analyzed. Certain aspects like pH are very similar between each plant however the is a large variance in hardness, alkalinity, and others.

Any thoughts?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: water from multiple sources
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:16:22 am »
To me, it looks like 2 options...take your chances with your water, or buy RO water and build it up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:29 am »
Yep, and the latter of the two is the best option for predictability and consistency. I'd think it would be a total crapshoot to use a mix of water sources, unless the 3 were very similar.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:23 am »
Ok. I was kind of thinking RO water would be my best bet for this circumstance. I am mostly worried about controlling my mash pH and not mimicking certain water profiles.

Since it has taken me so long to get around to addressing water I think I will try my water and see what happens over time. If necessary, I can always switch to RO water...no rush.

Offline tommymorris

water from multiple sources
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:46:13 am »
If you only need to control mash ph isn't it cheaper to buy a ph meter and adjust ph according to the measured ph? RO systems are pretty expensive.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:47:44 am »
If you only need to control mash ph isn't it cheaper to buy a ph meter? RO systems are pretty expensive.

I buy RO water from the grocery store machine for 39 cents/gallon. I don't own a system.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:49:51 am »
I buy RO water from the grocery store machine for 39 cents/gallon. I don't own a system.

Same, but from an Ice House and it's $0.25 per gallon. It's another pre-brew day errand, which sucks. But I don't trust my water supply at all.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:17 am »
If you only need to control mash ph isn't it cheaper to buy a ph meter and adjust ph according to the measured ph? RO systems are pretty expensive.

if your alkalinity is all over the place it becomes a pretty tedious task to measure and control pH on the fly.

and as hoosier points out bulk RO is cheap.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:58:30 am »
Ok so the water company replied with this after I noted this is for brewing:

The mineral content of water is a significant factor in brewing. Denver Water routinely tests for several mineral components in our treated water from each of Denver’s watershed sources.

Most brewers find Denver’s water is well-suited for home-brewing operations.

Concentration (mg/L)

South Platte treated water Moffat treated water Desirable levels *
Total alkalinity (as CaCO3) 30-81                               18-35                      25-300
Sodium (Na)                     15-23                               4-8                          10-150
Chloride (Cl)                     12-33                               4-7                          Less than 150
Sulfate (SO4 )                   47-78                              17-23                       10-70
Calcium (Ca)                     21-37                               9-15                        50-150
Magnesium (Mg)                5-10                                 2-3                         10-30

I believe the pH is about 7.74. I am a moron with chemistry and water so I basically only need to learn how to control my pH as alestateyall stated. In this case, I believe I would be Moffat treated water...

Anyone with Denver Water wanna chime in?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:12:28 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:34 am »
Regardless of using local or RO water, I would use Bru'nWater for it - it will accurately help you predict your pH and therefore be able to adjust it PRIOR to the mash, rather than winging it, checking pH on the fly during the mash and then having to react quickly and accurately. I've checked my pH against what Bru'nWater predicts and it is very accurate software.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:22 pm »
I didn't realize RO water was so cheap to buy at the grocery. I will have to look into that.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 12:46:56 pm »
I didn't realize RO water was so cheap to buy at the grocery. I will have to look into that.

Yep, just be sure to look for the stores with a machine that you fill by the gallon. I make extra sure to look for info on the machine that states that the water is processed using reverse osmosis. To my knowledge, most of those types of machines are.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »

Yep, just be sure to look for the stores with a machine that you fill by the gallon. I make extra sure to look for info on the machine that states that the water is processed using reverse osmosis. To my knowledge, most of those types of machines are.

And if you can find a machine that's INSIDE the store as people seem intent on messing with them and when they are inside they are less likely to have been messed with.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bondra76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »
How do you know what amounts of minerals are in RO water though? If you're talking Deep Rock water or Aquafina or something like that, most of those water machines are just local water that's been purified. But even looking at Deep Rocks water quality reports they still contain minerals and their ph can vary depending on the local source they are gathering from. Maybe I'm missing something though with the RO stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:41 am »
How do you know what amounts of minerals are in RO water though? If you're talking Deep Rock water or Aquafina or something like that, most of those water machines are just local water that's been purified. But even looking at Deep Rocks water quality reports they still contain minerals and their ph can vary depending on the local source they are gathering from. Maybe I'm missing something though with the RO stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RO filters remove 98% of the minerals if working properly. What is left depends on the source water and the filter.

Recently posted test results for RO water.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20617.0
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:22:41 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!