Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My automated brew system  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
My automated brew system
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »
I brew like a simple pot on a stove. Because I think it is important to brew in a reproducible way I use automation to achieve this. Actually I use a predecessor of Tcontrol to control all the mash steps temperatures and timings. All the brewing is done without a pump. The inside of the kettle is RVS the outside is iron.

Mash tun with stirring motor on top and direct heater which is controlled by a proportional valve from a central gas heater. A handmade PCB with some I2C components is the interface to the parallel port of the brewing PC.
The stirrer used in the kettle is driven by 24 Vdc which is speed controlled by the PC depending on the heating in the last minutes.

On the brewing PC I fill in the mash scheme for this beer.

The home made brewing program is called BeerPID. The program BeerPID is not a PID controller anymore but uses a feedback an feed forward analog algorithm. Digital temperature sensors measure the temperature of the wort.

This photo shows the bottom side of the mash tun during heating. Also the wiring of the electrical ignition and the flame monitoring sensor can be seen.

After mashing the mash tum is hoisted on the counter with a electrical cable hoist.

The heating of the sparge water is automatically started after the mashing and regulated to 82 degrees Celsius during the sparge.

The sparge water bucket is about 25 liter. It contains a chip fryer heating element mounted 4 cm above the bottem into the water.

After filtering and sparging the boiling starts.

The software detects the start of the boiling so the first hop can be added. A timer on the screen is used to give alarm when next hop or sugar should be added.
Automated mashing and fermentation is not so strange

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My automated brew system
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:32:24 pm »
Wow, that's the most unusual system I've ever seen!  Polar opposite from the way I brew.  Kudos on your creativity!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
Cool website.  The inflatable ballon CO2 production sensor is something I have never seen before. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »
Cool! I feel like I'm at a 1957 World's Fair demonstration of what brewing would be like in the year 2000. But seriously, I'm impressed.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:10:01 pm »

I brew like a simple pot on a stove. Because I think it is important to brew in a reproducible way I use automation to achieve this. Actually I use a predecessor of Tcontrol to control all the mash steps temperatures and timings. All the brewing is done without a pump. The inside of the kettle is RVS the outside is iron.

Mash tun with stirring motor on top and direct heater which is controlled by a proportional valve from a central gas heater. A handmade PCB with some I2C components is the interface to the parallel port of the brewing PC.
The stirrer used in the kettle is driven by 24 Vdc which is speed controlled by the PC depending on the heating in the last minutes.

On the brewing PC I fill in the mash scheme for this beer.

The home made brewing program is called BeerPID. The program BeerPID is not a PID controller anymore but uses a feedback an feed forward analog algorithm. Digital temperature sensors measure the temperature of the wort.

This photo shows the bottom side of the mash tun during heating. Also the wiring of the electrical ignition and the flame monitoring sensor can be seen.

After mashing the mash tum is hoisted on the counter with a electrical cable hoist.

The heating of the sparge water is automatically started after the mashing and regulated to 82 degrees Celsius during the sparge.

The sparge water bucket is about 25 liter. It contains a chip fryer heating element mounted 4 cm above the bottem into the water.

After filtering and sparging the boiling starts.

The software detects the start of the boiling so the first hop can be added. A timer on the screen is used to give alarm when next hop or sugar should be added.
PID, I2C, PCB, Vdc, digital, analog, feedback, feed forward; I am guessing you are an electrical engineer!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:40 pm »
Wow. Cool.

Polar opposite of my brew rig as well. I am in Denny's Cheap and Easy camp.

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:34:53 pm »
All thanks for the enthusiastic reactions.

PID, I2C, PCB, Vdc, digital, analog, feedback, feed forward; I am guessing you are an electrical engineer!
[/quote]

Good guess, Electronic Architect do they call it.

Cool website.  The inflatable ballon CO2 production sensor is something I have never seen before. 

Thanks and this CO2 production sensor works fine for already a few years.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
Wow.  I thought I wanted to see it in person until I saw where you lived.  Seriously cool.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:29 am »
Very nice. I'm looking at going electric myself.

Steve, don't let a little water stop you....

Bruce

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 11:32:39 am »
Wow.  I thought I wanted to see it in person until I saw where you lived.  Seriously cool.

Good to hear the reactions. To see it live in person is probably difficult due to the distance. But looking this video from a few years ago gives a good impression how I brew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T6Whz4tzjw

Also my home brew site gives more information.

Tomorrow I'am going to brew an American Pale Ale. If there is interest I will make a topic about the fermentation of this beer. Including the fermentation result in time measured by the CO2 production sensor.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:58:52 am »

If there is interest I will make a topic about the fermentation of this beer. Including the fermentation result in time measured by the CO2 production sensor.

Yeah, I would definitely like to see that. What strain did you plan to use ?
Jon H.

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »
The US-05 is the yeast for tomorrow.

narvin

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:45:48 pm »
This is great.  I especially like the bucket heater for sparge water.  Do you have any wiring diagrams?

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:11 am »
The mash water bucket does not have a special wiring diagram. This is the normal wiring of a chips fryer.

The interface board to the PC is hand soldered.

A pdf of the schematic is added to my site at the end of the page brewing day.

a screenshot of the LabVIEW application BeerPID.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »
Let me see if I have your PC interface schematic figured out correctly.  It looks you are bit-banging data bits out on pin 6, generating the I2C clock signal on pin 5, and bit-banging data bits in on pin 13 (bits are inverted from what appears at the base of T1).  You have pins 10, 11, and 12 gated out such that they source current and serve as VCC for pin 8 with R4 acting as the collector load resistor on OK2.  Pin 25 is signal ground.  The optocouplers isolate the board power supply from the PC power supply.  Am I close?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:55:14 am by S. cerevisiae »