Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safety of Kettles/Cookware  (Read 1372 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Safety of Kettles/Cookware
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:45:00 am »
I'll admit, I'm a bit over cautious around health stuff, but I'm curious if anyone has any qualms about buying kettles or stock pots from China or manufacturers outside of the US.

Even the high quality brands like All Clad are made in China now.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:12:42 am by FLbrewer »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Safety of Kettles/Cookware
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:26:35 am »
You could e-mail All Clad and see what they say. They might send you a lab report of the materials.

The LHBS had a material report run at a local lab, it came back fine for all of the elements the stainless was to have per specification, negative on things like lead.

I would be cautious of off brands.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:02:14 pm »
You need to look at Vollrath/Polar Ware (Vollrath purchased Polar Ware a couple of years ago) if you want to purchase a large volume, name brand stockpot.  Vollrath and Polar Ware still offer made in the U.S. lines in addition to made in China lines.   

Polar Ware's BP series of factory-manufactured brewing kettles are made in the U.S.  These kettles can be differentiated from Polar Ware's Chinese-made Economy line of brewing kettles by the presence of factory-welded ball valve and thermometer fittings.  The most common models in this line are are the 601BP, 361BP, and 321BP kettles.

Vollrath's Tri-Ply and Classic series stainless steel stockpots are made in the U.S.   Classic series stockpots have been in use in commercial kitchens for at least two decades.

38.5-Quart Vollrath Classic Series Stainless Steel Stock Pot

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-78630-classic-38-1-2-qt-stainless-steel-stock-pot/92278630.html

38.5-Quart Vollrath Tri-Ply Series Stainless Steel Stock Pot

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-77630-tri-ply-38-5-qt-stainless-steel-stock-pot/92277630.html

Note: The Cover has to be ordered separately when purchasing a Vollrath stockpot

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:49:26 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:40:53 am »
Great, thanks for the reply, ordered a Vollrath.