Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next batch  (Read 2274 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Next batch
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:59:08 pm »
So I think my next batch will be 11/9/14 and I plan on trying out Denny's BVIP, with the recipe from the wiki here. Any thoughts, tips, or tweaks any of you have made? I know everyone raves about this brew, so I want to make it, just looking for any insight other than what is listed in the wiki
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Next batch
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:10:37 am »
Great beer, especially during the chilly months. When you add the vanilla beans, I add them to the keg in a bag or strainer and pull them when the flavor is slightly more than I want, because the vanilla flavor will fade fairly quickly. I would use the 1450 if you can find it - it's great for dark beers IMO. Enjoy !

EDIT  -  If you don't keg then obviously you can add the beans to the fermenter after fermentation is done.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:15:38 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:29:09 am »
Thanks Jon, I have been looking for the 1450, and 1/3 LHBS nearby says in stock on website, but most of them are not always up to date. Going looking for it today. I do bottle, so I'm likely to lose a lot of the vanilla after carbing and conditioning, may use 3 instead of 2?
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:42:12 am »
Thanks Jon, I have been looking for the 1450, and 1/3 LHBS nearby says in stock on website, but most of them are not always up to date. Going looking for it today. I do bottle, so I'm likely to lose a lot of the vanilla after carbing and conditioning, may use 3 instead of 2?

I would do the same as I do with the keg - add the beans and sample (from your fermenter) until the vanilla is a little above what you want and bottle. It's more of a time thing.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:53:15 am »

How much vanilla to use depends pretty much on the freshness of your beans.  If they're big, "juicy", and pliable, 2 will probably be enough.  If they're small, hard, and shriveled (get yer minds outta the gutter, guys!) then it may take 3-4.  You kinda have to just look at them amd make a WAG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:01:32 pm »
Thanks Denny. I see vanilla beans come up on homebrewfinds.com all the time, so I will look foe something "fresh" locally or source online. The offers he puts up are usually for 3 whole beans so that should work either way. I would also guess those would be better than the sealed jar I found at the grocery thus afternoon that seemed to contain 2 of those hard, shriveled (though not that small) beans for around $8
Frank L.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »
I've gotten very nice vanilla beans at Penzey's.  The grocery store beans were not as fresh.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »
I've gotten very nice vanilla beans at Penzey's.  The grocery store beans were not as fresh.

Paul
I buy vanilla beans by the pound at frontiercoop.com and freeze them.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
That's a ton of vanilla, well actually, a pound

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »

Paul

Me too, Paul .
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41:01 pm »
Well that's mighty convenient, vanilla beans on sale today, link from homebrewfinds.com:
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/10/16-bourbon-madagascar-vanilla-beans-11-45-72-cents-ea.html
Looks like a much better deal than I had seen in Kroger, not sure how it compares in general though. Check it out though if you need them
Frank L.