Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming with honey  (Read 4607 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Priming with honey
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »
I am considering priming my Bourbon Barrel Porter with honey. Survey says....4.67 ounces of honey/5gallons for 2.4volumes.  I've read to boil the honey in 8-16 oz. of water and rack your beer on top.  Does this sounds good to you experts?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:39:30 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Stevie

Re: Priming with honey
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »
Honey is anti microbial. I'd just mix it in when you rack to your bottle bucket or mix with a bit of warm preboild water first. Warming slightly will make it easier to mix.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »
I think that will work. But I don't think 4.67 ounces of honey will bring any noticeable flavor to a porter.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:54:44 am »

I think that will work. But I don't think 4.67 ounces of honey will bring any noticeable flavor to a porter.

Your probably right. I am really just looking for the carbonation over flavor. But you have my wheels spinning. I could add more to get a flavor component.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:20:21 am »
If you haven't brewed it yet you might consider honey malt.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 07:24:04 am »
I've been using honey to prime bottles from left over beer from the primary after kegging. A couple grams in a 12 ounce bottle or 3-5g in 16-22oz bottles works awesomely. Like Steve said, honey is anti-microbial awesomeness.
Jesse

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »
I am considering priming my Bourbon Barrel Porter with honey. Survey says....4.67 ounces of honey/5gallons for 2.4volumes.  I've read to boil the honey in 8-16 oz. of water and rack your beer on top.  Does this sounds good to you experts?

i used some honey to bottle a double IPA once and it was fantastic. It works great as a priming sugar if you want that honey flavor in your beer (porter) some honey malt will help but actually adding some honey at flame out will get you a nice honey aroma and flavor maybe 1 lb per 5 gallons. it will also boost your gravity too.

i've used organic raw honey not boiled w/o any problems. Just heat up the water enough to easily dissolve the honey. cool the mixture down to 70 and mix it into your bottling bucket.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:09:05 am »
I know Logsdon uses pear concentrate to prime all of their farmhouse beers. I've got two batches coming due for bottling. They will be corked in 750s. Im going to give it a whirl. First I have to source the concentrate then do some math. If I can find peach and cherry concentrate I might try that because my farmhouse beers are one cherry and one peach. Should be a fun experiment

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:12 am »
I use honey to prime a honey ale I brew. The beer usually has a nice honey flavor but that could be because of the 3# of honey in the batch also.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:51:24 am »
what was the highest temp the beer achieved after primary fermentation was complete? 4.67 ounces will only work to get 2.4 volumes if the highest temp your beer every saw was 60*f.

check out http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:55:42 pm »
Lately I've been using old bottles of honey that have about little bit of honey in them, and throwing in some oak (or whatever wood I would like to use in a brew), add a nice amount of whiskey or bourbon to it, and let it age until I have something ready. Then I throw that mixture into my keg and let it carbonate naturally while adding a nice oaky touch. Don't get any honey flavor from it, but it's easy, and I now have a use for that last little bit of honey in the jar that is such a pain to get out anyways.
Kyle M.