Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flashback Brewday  (Read 4439 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Flashback Brewday
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 12:47:09 pm »
Was just at LHBS yesterday. The kit I bought there as my first batch is $42.95. Considering I can make same beer AG for under $25, it may be tough to try it again, maybe I'll just put it together AG style
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 12:49:18 pm »

Was just at LHBS yesterday. The kit I bought there as my first batch is $42.95. Considering I can make same beer AG for under $25, it may be tough to try it again, maybe I'll just put it together AG style
Extract costs?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »
Yes, 8# extract, 1# steeping grains, half pound sugar, 4.5 oz hops, US 05, caps, 3 muslin bags, and priming sugar. Guess I forgot all the extras that I also now but in bulk. Maybe not such a bad price
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »
I just posted on the "origins" thread, and realized that my 10-year anniversary of brewing is coming up in February.  I'm totally going to re-brew batch #1.  Papazian's "Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale."  I might go authentic and use extract, or perhaps work up an AG batch to brew alongside the original extract version. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
Toad Spit Stout, circa 1993 or thereabouts.  I'm pretty sure it was some dark LME, some light LME, some steeped grains, and Fuggle hops, but I haven't checked the recipe.

Would be interesting to brew it again, but I get so few brew days lately I'm not sure I want to give one up.  And the last brew was 10 gallons of stout, so I'm set there for awhile.

IIRC, it also called for 4 Tbsp. of gypsum.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 01:10:35 pm »
The first beer I brewed ~ 20 yrs ago was an extract IPA from William's Brewing.  I remember I didn't even have a hydrometer tube so I simply floated the hydrometer in the fermenter!  LOL 

As I recall that was some pretty good beer ...and I don't even like IPA(s).  At least for a dirt poor thirty soldier runnin around Savannah GA it was pretty good.  LOL

This is a pretty cool idea to go back and brew a do over.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:40 am »
Toad Spit Stout, circa 1993 or thereabouts.  I'm pretty sure it was some dark LME, some light LME, some steeped grains, and Fuggle hops, but I haven't checked the recipe.

Would be interesting to brew it again, but I get so few brew days lately I'm not sure I want to give one up.  And the last brew was 10 gallons of stout, so I'm set there for awhile.

IIRC, it also called for 4 Tbsp. of gypsum.

If so, I'm sure we added it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton