Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anyone used wyyeast california lager strain  (Read 2865 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: anyone used wyyeast california lager strain
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 03:39:20 pm »
I us 1728 with my wee shroomy and run it about 52.  No problem.

Did you really make a beer with mushrooms?

I had it last year at NHC.  It's really quite good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 03:50:57 pm »
Mark - is the ACME strain the same one used by North Coast?  They have some "Acme" labelled beers, but it could be coincidence.

From what I've read, North Coast bought the trademarks back in the 1990s from whoever still held them. The brewery was long gone so I imagine their yeast was, too. Other than what was at UC Davis. I like ACME IPA  a lot, but it's gotten harder to find around here.

Edit: Google Books has some more info
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:54:20 pm by BrewingRover »
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »
From what I've read, North Coast bought the trademarks back in the 1990s from whoever still held them. The brewery was long gone so I imagine their yeast was, too. Other than what was at UC Davis. I like ACME IPA  a lot, but it's gotten harder to find around here.

Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite 50) was originally acquired from North Coast by BrewTek (the culture was labeled CL-50 California Pub Brewery Ale in the BrewTek collection).   It is well known that Mark Ruedrich obtained the yeast culture that North Coast uses from UC Davis. 

With that said, unless the strain known to amateur brewers as BrewTek CL-50/Wyeast 1450 underwent a serious mutation at North Coast, it is not the ACME strain that is held in the UC Davis Collection.  The ACME strain is highly flocculent.  It drops brilliantly clear at the end of fermentation without the need for cold crashing.  I felt like a kid at Christmas the first time that I used the ACME strain.  The ACME strain is a major pain in the backside to grow on solid media, but it performs beautifully in wort.