Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Kettle Quality  (Read 2410 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: New Kettle Quality
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:35:31 am »
I do not understand why Blichmann has not moved to using welded fittings on their kettles now that Vollrath is manufacturing their stockpots.  Vollrath owns Polar Ware, and Polar Ware has the in-house expertise to build kettles with custom-made welded fittings.  Polar Ware's Brew Pot (BP) line of kettles have sported welded fittings since they were first introduced over a decade ago.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:37:12 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 10:25:54 am »
I do not understand why Blichmann has not moved to using welded fittings on their kettles now that Vollrath is manufacturing their stockpots.  Vollrath owns Polar Ware, and Polar Ware has the in-house expertise to build kettles with custom-made welded fittings.  Polar Ware's Brew Pot (BP) line of kettles have sported welded fittings since they were first introduced over a decade ago.
Good question. While I don't mind weldless fittings, there is something reassuring about good quality welds. Could it have something to do with there snap-in dip tube?

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:48 pm »
Whether custom or off-the-shelf, every kettle that I have owned has had welded fittings.   Sanitary/stainless welders are not that difficult to find.  All one has to do is ask around. 

I use a 37-degree flare fitting and a flared stainless steel pickup tube that I manufactured on the inside of the 3.5-gallon batch size kettle that I built in the fall of 2013 (started out as a Vollrath Optio 6.75 gallon stockpot).  My pickup tube only needs to be finger tight. The advantage of using a flared tube and a 37-degree flare fitting is that the hole in one's false bottom does not need to be much large than the diameter of the pickup tube because the pickup tube goes on the fitting, not in the fitting.  Blichmann uses a washer to cover an oval hole in their false bottom because the snap-in pickup tube requires travel. 

My custom 6.75-gallon kettle

37-degree stainless flare fitting

Pickup tube installed

Pickup tube and custom Jaybird false bottom installed

False bottom and pickup tube disassembled