Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Wheel of Time  (Read 9459 times)

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
Re: The Wheel of Time
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »
If you like Fantasy and humor/satire, read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.
You'll wet yourself with laughter as well as interesting storylines.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 05:42:24 am »
I've got the entire Louis L'Amour paperback series I inherited from my dad. I think they are called the Frontier series. Must be about 75 of them. I need to get started ::)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 05:54:21 am »
David Eddings 'The Belgariad' and 'The Malloreon' are a great series.  I consider it one series because they have the same characters and same general story arc.  Each one has 5 books in the series - the first time I read them, I burned through all ten in a row and was left wanting more and relieved it was over.  I think that's what may have turned me sour on series that have more than 6 books, unless each book can stand by itself (like Piers Anthony's Xanth series).

I'll have to re-visit The Belgariad soon, my wife has read all 10 at least twice since I introduced them to her.  I haven't re-read them in about 15 years.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline jds

• 1st Kit
  • Enginerd, Dad, Homebrewer
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:45:50 am »
David Eddings 'The Belgariad' and 'The Malloreon' are a great series.  I consider it one series because they have the same characters and same general story arc.  Each one has 5 books in the series - the first time I read them, I burned through all ten in a row and was left wanting more and relieved it was over.  I think that's what may have turned me sour on series that have more than 6 books, unless each book can stand by itself (like Piers Anthony's Xanth series).

I'll have to re-visit The Belgariad soon, my wife has read all 10 at least twice since I introduced them to her.  I haven't re-read them in about 15 years.

Great choice! Even though the Belgariad is 20+ years old, it's still a great choice. I re-read it a few years ago. it was interesting to see how differently I felt about some of the characters now compared to when I was a teenager.

Here are a few more great sf series I've read and enjoyed the hell out of:

Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga (the first book is Magician: Apprentice
Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders (starts with Ship of Magic) and Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice)
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series (Red Mars starts it off)
Jacqueline Carey's Legacy series, which starts with Kushiel's Dart

There's a good six months of reading in that list, if not more.  Enjoy!

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:04:33 am »
Here are a few more great sf series I've read and enjoyed the hell out of:

Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga (the first book is Magician: Apprentice
Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders (starts with Ship of Magic) and Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice)
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series (Red Mars starts it off)
Jacqueline Carey's Legacy series, which starts with Kushiel's Dart

There's a good six months of reading in that list, if not more.  Enjoy!

I absolutely loved Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, and not because we share the same last name :D  At times through the second and third books, it gets a little tedious and the plot moves slow but worthwhile when you reach the end.  It seems to be a trend with some of his stuff (Antarctica, Icehenge, The Years of Rice and Salt) - he seems to get bogged down and the plot slows somewhere in the last third to last quarter of the story - IMO anyway.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:20:03 am »

+1

I'm personally a Dark Tower fan as well...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:10 am »

Then Robert Jordan, God rest his soul, realized that his books were all best sellers and that with every passing volume the size of his bank account grew by exponential numbers.

I've heard people say that before. Personally, I think he just got more and more ambitious concerning the scope of the story, and things began to spin a bit out of control.

Read The Song of Ice and Fire.  Now those books are phenomenal.

Seriously. 

If you're going to read the series, I would say buckle down and read it all.

Definitely...

I'm personally a Dark Tower fan as well...

Me too. I wouldn't normally consider myself a Stephen King, but that series was amazing.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:39:52 am »
I'm not really much of a Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan (more of a mystery dood, myself), but I have been enjoying the following series (one of which is supposedly concluded and the other one is apparently about to)

Old Man's War's by John Scalzi - Think a more modern Starship Troopers with more sophisticated politics behind it. Should be done, there's 4 books in the sereis that I've read - Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, Zoe's Tale. There's also a novella called the The Sagan Diary, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $13 for 100 pages that I'll read in an hour!

The Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher (Starts with Furies of Calderon) - Imagine a world founded by a lost Roman legion where humans access magic via spirit incarnations called Furies. (What I think is the final book is about to be published in two weeks)

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - This is what restarted me looking at Fantasy/Sci-Fi recently. It's a series of books that deal with a modern day wizard in modern day Chicago. He acts like a PI, but gets entangled in the ongoing war between humanity and creatures from the NeverNever including the Fae and the Vampire courts, etc. Lots of fun.

And like I said I'm a big old mystery buff. Lvoe the damn things.

One series I'm working my way through right now is the Beekeeper's Apprentice series by Laurie R. King about a young woman becoming Sherlock Holmes apprentice in the years following his adventures chronicled by Watson.

Also, I find myself constantly returning to Raymond Chandler's works as well as the Travis McGee novels by John D. MacDonald.(Deep Blue Goodbye  is the first of them) - Those novels are direct influences on the whole "Florida" genre of crime writers that exist today.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline brookspn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »
Yeah, the Dark Tower is really great.  Plus, when you think of it, King created a world far more intricate and intriguing than many authors of the style, with several of his books taking place in the Dark Tower universe.  They guy made a mechanic to support the Tower and intertwines it into many of his books (Insomnia, 'Salem's Lot, Heart in Atlantis etc.) to create a tapestry of the world beyond the pages of a single series. 

After reading the Tower and the other books that occur in the same world, I was hard pressed to read anyone else's style of writing.  King is a genius.

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 03:32:44 pm »
In my opinion, "The Stand" is King's greatest work followed closely by the short story "The Long Walk" when he published under Bachman.
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline brookspn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 07:29:37 pm »
I just read The Long Walk.  That was awesome.  Crazy story, great character development, perfect ending.  The Stand was also great...oh, Randall Flagg...what an amazing character

If you haven't read the Dark Tower, he plays a huge part in that book.

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 07:33:19 pm »
Dark Tower eh?  I might just have to check that one out.
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »
Dark Tower is good.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:50 pm »
The Tower series is possibly one of the greatest fantasy epics I've ever read.  As someone mentioned above it's a lot different from the normal (if you can use that word with him) King novels.  I highly recommend it.

And I'll also concur that The Long Walk was a good read.  I picked that one up only recently after having read a lot of King over the years.  It's disturbing, but his best work is.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 06:24:36 am »
Lots of great suggestions on this thread! I've read most of them and I'll add Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series to the mix.

WOT is still my favorite though. That may be because I started reading it in 1993 while in the 6th grade. I'm like Denny, halfway through book 6. I think by the time I get caught up, the whole book 12 trilogy will be out. I think I read that each book will be a year apart.
618 Country - Southern Illinois