Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 18" Stainless Dryhopper  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
18" Stainless Dryhopper
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:55:40 pm »
This may have been covered previously...

I just bought the 18" dry hopper from Zach over at Stainless Brewing and I have two questions.

1 - What is the pellet capacity?
2 - Safe to add to carbed beer, or is that a terrible idea? I want to be able to have a keg carbed up and add the hops when I am ready to serve. Would jumping to a second keg with a large amount of back pressure and a spunding valve be a smarter plan?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: 18" Stainless Dryhopper
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:28:23 pm »
I put 3 oz. in the 10" dry hopper once, and I felt that there were diminishing returns regarding hop surface area in contact with the wort (which is why I also ended up purchasing the 18" version).

I think you could go 4 oz. without issue.  Let me know what you think if you try more than that.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:29:18 pm »
1/  IPA level dry hopping.  I've put over 5 oz in it.

2/  I keg, add the canister for 5-7 days room temp @ carb pressure, then chill. But I like to pull it to add more hops when the aroma drops off (sometimes).  Has worked fine doing that.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 04:45:54 pm »
But I like to pull it to add more hops when the aroma drops off (sometimes).  Has worked fine doing that.
So adding to carbed beer shouldn't be a problem? I guess in your scenario, the keg isn't completely full either, so a bit of foaming wouldn't be a big deal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:54:23 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »
The first time I added extra hops I basically dropped the canister in and got a fair amount of foaming. After that I added hops, gently set the canister in and have been fine.
Jon H.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:48:49 am »
The first time I added extra hops I basically dropped the canister in and got a fair amount of foaming. After that I added hops, gently set the canister in and have been fine.

Jon, when you "recharge" your dryhopper, do you feel you get results immediately, or does it take a while to notice?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:08:24 am »

Jon, when you "recharge" your dryhopper, do you feel you get results immediately, or does it take a while to notice?

Not immediately, but fairly quickly.  I notice more hop character in a day, and it probably peaks after 4 or 5 days.
Jon H.