Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shot Across The Bow...  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Shot Across The Bow...
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:45 pm »
In other news...

My shriveled grinch heart for big beer just grew two sizes. 
Also, Bud needs to ensure their own images don't get leaked!
http://www.budweiser.com/our-brand/our-process.html
Flying samples to St Louis every day seems ... fussy.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 01:09:31 pm »
I will admit I yelled at the commercial when it came on.  I just yelled bulls*** over and over until my wife said shut up!  Personally, I will not drink Bud or other macro beers.  Don't care for the taste and I save my beer calories for something I actually enjoy.  I also don't agree with their tactics - marketing, squashing the small guys, etc.  I am not bothered nor do I care if other people drink AB, etc.  It's their money, so spend it where you want.  I choose to homebrew and buy craft beer. 

Do I think Bud is crap?  No.  It's a well made lager, but with no real flavor IMO.  I would rather have a water than a BudMillerCoors beer. 

AB is going nowhere, but the decline in sales has to be concerning to them. More and more younger people are trying craft beer early on.  There is a movement across the country to buy things like beer, food and other goods locally.  Younger people are part of this movement which is definitely hurting the sales of Bud.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/food/ct-elysian-brewing-takeover-20150202-story.html#page=1
There's a pay wall, can we get the Cliff Notes?
It's Dick Cantwell complaining about the ad and then an interview about the Elysian buyout. You can get around the paywall if you Google the article title -- links from Google go straight through
"Craft brewery co-founder not happy with Super Bowl ad snark"
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:48 am »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:15 pm »
Awesome!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Stevie

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 01:46:59 pm »

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 02:07:50 pm »
That's a good one.  Wonder if AB realizes that ad probably hurt them more than it helped.  My guess is, they probably don't care.

Very cool that craft beer is striking back. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 02:16:14 pm »
When you consider the massive volume difference is business that they do vs the entire craft industry I think the ad helped them w their target demo.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 02:26:48 pm »
I can relate to the ad in many ways.  Beer isn't supposed to be a lifestyle.  It's supposed to be something that enhances one's lifestyle.  I believe that Fritz Maytag hit the nail squarely on the head when he stated that what makes beer special is that it has always been a common man's drink.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »
That's a good one.  Wonder if AB realizes that ad probably hurt them more than it helped.  My guess is, they probably don't care.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

narvin

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 06:40:16 pm »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/food/ct-elysian-brewing-takeover-20150202-story.html#page=1
There's a pay wall, can we get the Cliff Notes?
It's Dick Cantwell complaining about the ad and then an interview about the Elysian buyout. You can get around the paywall if you Google the article title -- links from Google go straight through
"Craft brewery co-founder not happy with Super Bowl ad snark"

And, the other thing that I didn't realize is that he wasn't for the sale but his two partners were.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 07:57:46 am »
Just read the quote below in an article regarding all this hoopla. I find it hard to believe honestly. Maybe they don't count Bud Lite?

"Also, an Anheuser-Busch InBev research poll identified that 44 percent of 21- to 27-year-olds have never tried Budweiser."

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 08:26:09 am »
I will admit that the music alone gets me going.. ya buddy......although I may have been stomping my foot and  banging my head more watching the Ninkasi version ;)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 05:43:57 pm »
Of course, the great thing about the craft beer revolution is it gave us choices of what to drink and in some cases choices we didn't even know existed.

I grew up in a small Midwestern town and for decades the only beer that I knew existed was variations of pilsner, and I didn't drink much beer for 40 years because I didn't really like pilsner.

I started drinking beer again and became a home brewer only after a friend gave me a good bottle of home-brewed porter.

Budweiser, you can keep your yellow pilsner; I prefer a good black-as-midnight coffee stout with extra heavy roasted barley for a good non-hop bitterness.

But cheers no matter what you're drinking.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 05:58:29 pm »
I know it's been talked to death, but the more I watch the 'pumpkin peach' commercial, the more annoying it gets.  ABI is on a mission to buy up craft breweries at a healthy clip (more power to them) but then makes a commercial with the message that their 'hard to make' manly beer beats those prissy pumpkin peach beers any day. I get what they're trying to do and who they want to reach. Doesn't make it any less freaking annoying.
Jon H.