Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Retailers  (Read 2649 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hop Retailers
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:21:16 am »
I generally purchase hops through More Beer or NB. I'm curious if there is a smaller or boutique vendor you use that you believe sells a higher quality product.

S. cerevisiae

Re: Hop Retailers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:09 am »
My suggestion is to purchase as close to the grower as possible.  The difference is noticeable.  Hops Direct and Freshops are basically hop brokers who also grow a portion of what they sell.  There are smaller players like YVH and Northwest Hops.  Plus, many boutique growers.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:47 am »
I like Yakima Valley hops a lot. They are about as far away from you as one could possibly be, so if you do order from them, maybe opt for the faster shipping.

Label peelers is in Ohio and I have heard good reports on their products. They have a very good selection.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:51 am »
I like Yakima Valley hops a lot. They are about as far away from you as one could possibly be, so if you do order from them, maybe opt for the faster shipping.

+1.  I'm almost totally a pellet user -  their pellets are excellent and the selection is fantastic.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:05 am »
I like Williams Brewing a lot but they don't have a huge selection.

For my last purchase, I used YVH for the first time. I will probably use them more often because of their selection. If you are purchasing lower AA or noble hops, I would recommend emailing them to get the current value. I ordered some Tettnang that were only 2.1% and outside of their advertised range. That is not their fault however I would have made a different hop selection from other similar varieties which ended up being closer to 5% and would have been more useful for my purposes.

Both retailers are out West so that may not be ideal for you...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:39 am »
Yeah Florida isn't the hop growing capital quite yet. I don't get too concerned w the temp change during shipping. They are vacuum sealed which I'm sure helps. Perhaps I can inquire about ice.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:46:35 am »
For my last purchase, I used YVH for the first time. I will probably use them more often because of their selection. If you are purchasing lower AA or noble hops, I would recommend emailing them to get the current value. I ordered some Tettnang that were only 2.1% and outside of their advertised range. That is not their fault however I would have made a different hop selection from other similar varieties which ended up being closer to 5% and would have been more useful for my purposes.
Good tip. I just got in an order that had 11% sterling, near twice the AA I have seen in the past.  :o

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:20 am »
Good tip. I just got in an order that had 11% sterling, near twice the AA I have seen in the past.  :o

Yep. I got those as well... I would rather have them be higher than lower.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:28 am »
I generally purchase hops through More Beer or NB. I'm curious if there is a smaller or boutique vendor you use that you believe sells a higher quality product.

Hop Heaven on eBay.  I have bought hops from a number of places through the years but none have compared to the quality I get from Hop Heaven.  Last year, Ted, the owner (and BJCP Grand Master) hand selected 30K lb. of hops to sell at his store.  That ensures the quality.  Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but yes, they're really that good!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:04:05 am »
My suggestion is to purchase as close to the grower as possible.  The difference is noticeable.  Hops Direct and Freshops are basically hop brokers who also grow a portion of what they sell.  There are smaller players like YVH and Northwest Hops.  Plus, many boutique growers.

I'm pretty sure Freshops doesn't grow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:01 am »
Gotta +1 Denny on that.I bought a lot of hops from Hop Heaven and they were just different. The pellets were very resinous and pungent compared to some of the rather dry ones I have purchased. I got the impression they had been handled very respectfully and probably harvested at their peak.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:54 am »
Hop Heaven on eBay.  I have bought hops from a number of places through the years but none have compared to the quality I get from Hop Heaven.  Last year, Ted, the owner (and BJCP Grand Master) hand selected 30K lb. of hops to sell at his store.  That ensures the quality.  Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but yes, they're really that good!

These are all great sources. I also get a lot of hops from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. They get quite a few experimental varieties, plus some NZ varieties that I haven't seen elsewhere.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:50 am »
Farmhouse Brewing has great quality and fair prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:34:06 am »
Farmhouse Brewing has great quality and fair prices.
They also sell in 4oz packs, which I find to be quite convenient.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:06 am »
I've been happy with Hops Shack in OH, good quality and great prices and good variety. They also ship quick.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010