Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rimms question  (Read 1135 times)

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
Rimms question
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:08:41 pm »
Do you have the temp sensor on the output to the top of the mash or do you have it on the input from the bottom of the mash?  Did I do this right? 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Rimms question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:32 am »
The sensor has to be immediately downstream of the element in order to avoid overheating the wort. The PID cannot control the wort temperature unless the control-feedback loop is very small. You want the sensor as close as possible downstream of the element for best performance.

I also recommend that you include additional thermometers in your wort circuit so that you can monitor temperatures at the top and bottom of your grain bed. That gives you the ability to know when your mash has reached equilibrium after a mash step.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Rimms question
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:29:13 pm »

The sensor has to be immediately downstream of the element in order to avoid overheating the wort. The PID cannot control the wort temperature unless the control-feedback loop is very small. You want the sensor as close as possible downstream of the element for best performance.

I also recommend that you include additional thermometers in your wort circuit so that you can monitor temperatures at the top and bottom of your grain bed. That gives you the ability to know when your mash has reached equilibrium after a mash step.

Thanks Mabrungard, I thought about a small digital therm on the output valve. My sensor tip is about 1/2" from the end of the heating element.