Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Michigan Homebrewing law??  (Read 12211 times)

Offline nate_lapt

• 1st Kit
Michigan Homebrewing law??
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:45:34 pm »
ok, so the law states we can brew at home, ok fine.
What about at the clubs leased building?
Does this require a brewery permit?  or does this fall under the same law?

Offline nate_lapt

• 1st Kit
Re: Michigan Homebrewing law??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:19:56 am »
ok, to clarify,  A group of friends lease a building and wish to brew within it, and share our brew.
But according to the law we read we will require a brewery license to do this?  Is this true?
If so, which license would allow us to do so.
Also if everything is good to go, we may want to setup as a club.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:52 am »
I am not a lawyer, and I don't know Michigan Laws; but having a bunch of homebrewers getting together to brew shouldn't be against the law, regardless of where you meet/assemble.
I don't see how that would be different from a "Teach a Friend how to Homebrew Day" or a "Group Brew" at someone's house.
Our club brews outside in the common area outside the homebrew shop.  I think it's simply because there's more room outside and the mess stays outside as well as the increased visibility to passers by.
As long as you're staying under 200 gallons per adult and not selling the beer and not distributing the beer to minors, I don't think you're doing anything to break the spirit or letter of the law.  That's just my opinion.  You may wish to seek state, local, and legal opinions before entering into a contract for the building.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:04:04 am »
Not trying be a prick but Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day, Group Brew etc. aren't exactly written anywhere in the MI constitution, bylaws etc.  They're homebrewers excuses....  :D

Those are the kind of things people wonder about.  I mean come on... everybody has seen Rambo First Blood with Brian Denihe(sp?) the kingshyt cop that did whatever was in his power to do.  Not saying all police are that way but yes... they do exist especially since laws were changed making them untouchables, which is a good thing but also a very bad thing leading to abuse of power for some.  Yeh, yeh I know.... prove it.   ::)

Offline phishfry

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »
I am not a lawyer, and I don't know Michigan Laws; but having a bunch of homebrewers getting together to brew shouldn't be against the law, regardless of where you meet/assemble.
I don't see how that would be different from a "Teach a Friend how to Homebrew Day" or a "Group Brew" at someone's house.
Our club brews outside in the common area outside the homebrew shop.  I think it's simply because there's more room outside and the mess stays outside as well as the increased visibility to passers by.
As long as you're staying under 200 gallons per adult and not selling the beer and not distributing the beer to minors, I don't think you're doing anything to break the spirit or letter of the law.  That's just my opinion.  You may wish to seek state, local, and legal opinions before entering into a contract for the building.

Correct me if I am wrong... but I believe that in the state of michigan in a single residence you are not allowed to brew more then 20 gallons a year. If there is more then one person in the residence, and the brew or cider is to be gifted and or consumed by family on premises then you can brew a total of 40 gal a year, (so 20 per person but no more in that residence)...Now to me that seems very low in comparison to many other states, and if your like me you brew alot to keep up the family demand. Maybe this could be a call to arms to change the laws(any lawyers out there)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:51:04 am »
The 20 gallon limit is for purposes of "gifting" only.  I believe the maximum you can have on hand is 200 gallons per household if there are two or more adults at the residense.  100 gallons if there is only one adult.  Also, I'm not sure if those limits are the amount you can have "on hand" or the total amounts you can brew in a single year?  I liked your question... I didn't know I could legally give beer away as a gift.   :)

Offline bobonthenet

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:13 am »
No one has really answered the original question.  I think the examples given by Richardt are illegal.  A nice opinion but potentially harmful.  I am certain that all brewing outside of your home is illegal unless you are licensed to do so.  Someone please prove me wrong on this.  I would be pleased were I to discover that this isn't true.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:50:29 am »
Contact Rex Halfpenny at the Michigan Beer Guide.  He was one of the people who worked on the legislation in MI that made it legal to homebrew.

http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bobonthenet

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »
Contact Rex Halfpenny at the Michigan Beer Guide.  He was one of the people who worked on the legislation in MI that made it legal to homebrew.

http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/

Contacted Rex, the number given on the Mi Beer Guide website actually happens to be his.  It is definitely illegal to brew anywhere but in own your home.  Anyone doing otherwise is simply ignoring the law, that includes the beer festivals, brew supply stores and clubs.  I'm not thrilled about it but I just thought everyone should know that this is the reality.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »
Yes but when does it become "beer" and not just soup.  When you pitch the yeast? When there is measurable alcohol present?  In NC it's when you add the yeast.  Seems to me you can cook all you want, then wait 'til you get home to "make beer". 
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 11:45:20 pm »
That's exactly right, it can't be illegal to make hot cereal, or to separate the sugar from it, can it?  Pitch the yeast when you get home and there's no way it is illegal.  Of course you might have to pay a lawyer to argue that for you in court, but I'm sure you'd win.  ;)
Tom Schmidlin