Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Weekend 2/28  (Read 2781 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Brew Weekend 2/28
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 08:14:51 pm »
Not brewing, racked 10 gallons of IPA to a secondary yesterday.  Last time I dry hop in primary by the way.
Kegged it tonight.  Bottling 10 gallons of Imp Stout tomorrow.

Brewing next Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  Does that count? Maibock, Ofest, Premium Am Lager.     
Jeff B

Offline glnprry

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 05:34:29 am »
We're taking advantage of the cold and brewing Marzen for our annual Oktoberfest party. We need a total of 16 batches so we start early.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 06:50:35 am »
The "not-so-fun" brew stuff on saturday.
*Did a bad job transferring a couple IPAs to kegs the other day..... got a lot of hop material.  So, I moved those to two new kegs after cold crashing for a few days.  That was a mess/adventure trying to jump them between kegs.  Eventually just went for the autosiphon.
*Lots of cleaning
*Bottled beers for NHC and a couple other comps I might send some to.
*Yeast Starters

Today - the fun stuff.
Brewing a batch or maybe two.... I have conan starter and 1968.
Thinking a Citra APA/IPA with the conan in the 1.06 range and an APA of some sort in the 1.05 range .... just enjoying some coffee and getting the recipes, brun water etc organized now.

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 07:09:01 pm »
I have been waiting for over a month to have enough time to brew my heady topper inspired DIPA. I used the recipe from Off The Topper, but I subbed golden promise for the pearl. 

While I was stirring the mash, I pulled the braid out of the valve.  Luckily I had another tun that I could pour the mash into once I realized why I wasn't able to collect the first runnings.  The brewday went much more smoothly after that.

Now that I have this batch in the fermenter, I'm kind of itching to brew a batch of Pliny.

Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:15 pm »
My first brewday in Vermont in a long time tomorrow. Marzen. built a new mash tun cooler, got the ingredients ready, borrowed a burner from a friend. ready to go. supposed to be a balmy 17 degrees at 6:00 tomorrow. fun!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 09:25:00 am »
Made a nice big Imperial Porter for the maiden ferment in the BruGear conical.  Have some Tahitian vanilla beans to vodka soak this evening and an 8 gallon Woodinville Whisky barrel to put it in to finish. Can't wait.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 09:27:28 am »
Cranking out an IPA on the Zymatic tomorrow, assuming my internet extender gets delivered today so I can get wifi in the garage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 09:47:04 am »
Cranking out an IPA on the Zymatic tomorrow, assuming my internet extender gets delivered today so I can get wifi in the garage.

Wow, times have changed.  Denny has to have wifi to brew?  :)

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:34 am »
Been too cold to brew lately, but will finally warm up into the 40s on Wednesday.  Plan on brewing a biere de garde.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

dfhar

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 10:39:58 am »
Brewed a Helles on Saturday and will likely submit to the Boston Homebrew Comp.

1.050 OG, 88% Best Pils, 10% Best Munich Light, 2% Best Melanoidin, 16 IBU of Saaz at 60, and WLP833.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 12:04:09 pm »

Yeah..weird, ain't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:09 pm »

Your going to be known as "Mr. Expensive and Complicated" ;)
Yeah..weird, ain't it?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 02:59:36 pm »

Yeah..weird, ain't it?

Even lazy pragmatic old dudes can learn new tricks. ;)
That must be pretty cool to push a button and brew.

I admit, the tinfoil on my head started tingling when I looked up Pico Brew online was able to zoom in on your house and see you were brewing Just Another IPA!
ummm. Looks like you got a little crazy with the lawn mower.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to your reviews.

Cheers

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:32 pm »
My brew day on saturday  went well for 6g or German pilsner, my first pilsner. Target OG was 1.051, hit 1.052 with my mill set at .032, almost scared Denny. Split in half: half with 830 and half with 833. 830 showed activity much earlier, not sure if that's common or not. It was active with some Krausen  forming and airlock activity at 12 hours from pitching active high Krausen 1.25L starter. 24 hours later and saw same activity with the 833, may have been sooner, but I was sleeping, lol. Really looking forward to trying these when they are done. Hallertau  Mittlefrueh at 60, 1 and 0 on a 90 minute boil. Mashed in at 149+, a little lower than target of 151 but I'll take it. Fingers crossed and rdwhahbing for a while
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:11 pm »
My brew day on saturday  went well for 6g or German pilsner, my first pilsner. Target OG was 1.051, hit 1.052 with my mill set at .032, almost scared Denny. Split in half: half with 830 and half with 833. 830 showed activity much earlier, not sure if that's common or not. It was active with some Krausen  forming and airlock activity at 12 hours from pitching active high Krausen 1.25L starter. 24 hours later and saw same activity with the 833, may have been sooner, but I was sleeping, lol. Really looking forward to trying these when they are done. Hallertau  Mittlefrueh at 60, 1 and 0 on a 90 minute boil. Mashed in at 149+, a little lower than target of 151 but I'll take it. Fingers crossed and rdwhahbing for a while

Sounds like you did a great job, Frank.  FWIW, I mash German pils @ 148-149F.
Jon H.