Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grains Before Water (Mash question)  (Read 5674 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Grains Before Water (Mash question)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »
I'm with Denny and Dan here. If you use your strike to pre-heast the tun, are you temping the tun before adding grains? Assuming that it is the temp of your strike water, etc. The one time I tried to pre-heat, I way over shot my intended temp, even though I thought I had accounted for everything properly. I just know where the tun is, and temp strike water to get where I need to be
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »

This.  Once you adjust your process to not preheating the mash tun you'll still be able to hit your mash temp rather you put the grains or water in first.  I never really got the pre-heating thing.

You and me both!  It took me 3 brews to dial in how much hotter I needed to make the water to account for not preheating.  That's one less step to deal with on brew day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:07:23 pm »
I like the Ol' run your water, add a few pounds of grain, stir, add a few pounds of grain, stir, until the process is complete method. I don't worry about preheating the tun either, but I will leave the grain and tun in the house at room temp untul I'm ready to mash in. This keeps the strike temp more consistant.

More geared to the OPs question. I often crush my grains as part as my brew day set up, which is done the evening before brewing. Why not just crush the grains and leave them in a bucket with a lid?
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:18 pm »
FWIW, after my grain is crushed I put it in a paper bag.  It's easy to hold that under my arm and slowly pour it into the water as I stir.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:44 pm »
I put my grains in first and fill the mash tun from the bottom up.  easiest way to prevent dough balls I've found.  Tip I picked up from the brewer at White Flame in Grand Rapids.

+1 to this, works better IMO
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 03:45:40 pm »
I put my grains in first and fill the mash tun from the bottom up.  easiest way to prevent dough balls I've found.  Tip I picked up from the brewer at White Flame in Grand Rapids.

+1 to this, works better IMO

I think it kinda depends on your equipment.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »
It may.  I'm unsure how well filling from the bottom works with a braid.  With a false bottom though it's the only way to go now imho. Other consideration is if using gravity you have to have a significant height difference
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:08 pm »
As long as it gets combined it doesn't make much difference.  My batches are larger and it makes it easier to pump it into the MT.  Plus I'm a manifold user.  When it is pumped it distributes uniformly.  Never had dough balls either way really. 
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »
It may.  I'm unsure how well filling from the bottom works with a braid.  With a false bottom though it's the only way to go now imho. Other consideration is if using gravity you have to have a significant height difference

I've tried it a few time with my braid.  It works well, but no better than my usual method.  But I agree about it if you're using a FB.  That was why I said it kinda depends on your system.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 03:52:18 pm »
As long as it gets combined it doesn't make much difference.  My batches are larger and it makes it easier to pump it into the MT.  Plus I'm a manifold user.  When it is pumped it distributes uniformly.  Never had dough balls either way really.

Yep, hence my comment...

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 05:51:59 pm »
It's amazing how the dough balls are always gone when I'm done stirring  :P
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:51 pm »

This.  Once you adjust your process to not preheating the mash tun you'll still be able to hit your mash temp rather you put the grains or water in first.  I never really got the pre-heating thing.

You and me both!  It took me 3 brews to dial in how much hotter I needed to make the water to account for not preheating.  That's one less step to deal with on brew day.

Me either. I adjust my strike temp up or down depending on time of year and use a couple ice cubes, if necessary.
Jon H.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 01:46:33 pm »
FWIW - we add enough strike water to the MT to cover the false bottom. Once its covered we start to add grains and water at the same time... at about the same rate with some gentle stirring back and forth.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 07:46:37 pm »

That's what the British refer to as "underletting the mash."

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »
I have mashed-in using many different techniques, but I prefer to add just enough hot liquor to be able float the grist onto the false bottom before adding the entire grist to the tun.  From there, I add hot liquor two quarts at a time until the grist is thoroughly saturated.  I then dump the remaining hot liquor into the tun and stir.  The only time that encounter a dough ball when stirring using this method is when I use Fawcett Pearl as my base malt.