Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grains Before Water (Mash question)  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Grains Before Water (Mash question)
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 10:07:02 pm »
If the main goal is to avoid dough balls, then you need to know what causes a doughball. The cause of a doughball is when a clump of crushed malt is surrounded by water above the gelatinization temperature of 147f. The starches on the outside of the clump in contact with the hot water gelatinize and prevent water from getting to the dry grains inside the clump.
So, to avoid dough balls, either dough in below the gelatinization temperature (acid rest, protein rest, etc.) or, when mashing-in at saccarification temperatures, avoid pushing clumps of malt under hot water. I accomplish this by sprinkling crushed malt onto the surface of the hot water while stirring. The worst thing you can do is pour a big pile of your grist onto the surface of the hot water and push it under, unless your goal is dough balls.
Another method I use is to have someone pour the grist slowly while I cut back and forth with the edge of my spoon/paddle.
If you do get dough balls, just smoosh them against the side of your mash tun to break them up.
Adding water to grain from the bottom is something I've never done and it seems counterintuitive but I may give it a try.
Hope this helps
Joe T

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:08 am »
I'm an underletter. I have a SS tun with a false bottom and I don't pre-heat.
It took 3 or 4 brews to get the liquor temperature right so that I got the desired mash temperature.....but now I'm dialled in on that it is not an issue anymore.
I just find it's easier than pouring and stirring.....particularly as a solo brewer (though my young son is now getting interested and I'll get him going with a mash paddle soon enough). I never get any dough balls this way.....it's just very easy once you have sussed out your equipment and established the liquor temperature needed to hit your desired mash temperature.   
Yorkshire, England

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 06:20:04 pm »
I'm with Denny and Dan here. If you use your strike to pre-heast the tun, are you temping the tun before adding grains? Assuming that it is the temp of your strike water, etc. The one time I tried to pre-heat, I way over shot my intended temp, even though I thought I had accounted for everything properly. I just know where the tun is, and temp strike water to get where I need to be

I actually plan to overshoot my mash temp.  Then I add ice cubes to drop the temp.  For me, each ice cube from the fridge dispenser drops the temp by about 0.2 degrees.  I would rather mash in high and drop the temp right to my target than try to monkey around with boiling water additions.  Works for me - give it a shot!  A jar of ice is a standard component of my brewday.  :)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »
I actually plan to overshoot my mash temp.  Then I add ice cubes to drop the temp.  For me, each ice cube from the fridge dispenser drops the temp by about 0.2 degrees.  I would rather mash in high and drop the temp right to my target than try to monkey around with boiling water additions.

+1.  I'm with you. I like to strike a degree or two above target. It gives me time to stir the mash thoroughly, to get a consistent mash temp throughout the cooler. And it for sure is way easier to add a few cubes than to add boiling water back to try to reel in my target. Truthfully, if I go a tad under I just live with it. Heating back up is a giant PITA.
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 08:50:43 am »
I didn't see the way I mash in mentioned so here is a different option.

I add 1/2 of the mash water to my cooler and then add the grains.  I sprinkle in the grains until there doesn't seem to be any water left to absorb them and then just pour the rest in so they are evenly spread across the cooler.  Then I add the remaining water using my 1 gallon pitchers.  I pour from 2' to 3' above the grain bed and use the water to mix in what I can.  What is left gets stirred together using a side to side motion and basically scraping the edge off the remaining dry grain "island" until it's all mixed in. 

I usually find 2 of 3 small dough balls but they break up easily.  Any final temp adjustments are made with a little cold water (I tend to over shoot my temp by 3 to 5 degs every time).

Slightly different but it works for me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?