Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Delaying pitching  (Read 4148 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Delaying pitching
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
That said, on both homebrew and commercial set up I leave most of the hops and trub behind in BK, which I do personally advocate. I whirlpool and have a plate in front of my exit port to hold back most of the hops and trub.

I guess when I've done the settling and racking off, its been  in the heat of summer when I can't chill lower than 75-80F or so. When I cool from there to lager pitch temp (~55F) in the fermentor, I get a LOT of cold break.

Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference in a stout or IPA, but it sure helped clear up a quick-fermented Pils.

Right now, chilling and settling in the whirlpool is no problemo.

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »
That said, on both homebrew and commercial set up I leave most of the hops and trub behind in BK, which I do personally advocate. I whirlpool and have a plate in front of my exit port to hold back most of the hops and trub.

I guess when I've done the settling and racking off, its been  in the heat of summer when I can't chill lower than 75-80F or so. When I cool from there to lager pitch temp (~55F) in the fermentor, I get a LOT of cold break.

Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference in a stout or IPA, but it sure helped clear up a quick-fermented Pils.

Right now, chilling and settling in the whirlpool is no problemo.

I've just read a lot about how hot or cold break doesn't make a difference in clarity, and that it may actually help a fermentation. So I haven't bothered. Haven't really noticed any problems in beer clarity, even on the palest beers. See the kolsch in my avatar, or the one below. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 07:13:26 am »
A few brewers here in the UK (usually beginners with limited equipment) use a 'no chill cube'. It's also popular in Australia where water is precious and ground water often very warm.
Boiled wort is simply run in to a food safe container (jerry can type thing) and then left to cool. Some people dunk in a cold water bath to speed up the chilling.
Point is, that I've read that people can leave this wort for many days, even months in some cases prior to pitching the yeast.
I must say I have no direct experience of this, but it seems to work okay for the guys that do it.
Yorkshire, England

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:13 am »
A few brewers here in the UK (usually beginners with limited equipment) use a 'no chill cube'. It's also popular in Australia where water is precious and ground water often very warm.
Boiled wort is simply run in to a food safe container (jerry can type thing) and then left to cool. Some people dunk in a cold water bath to speed up the chilling.
Point is, that I've read that people can leave this wort for many days, even months in some cases prior to pitching the yeast.
I must say I have no direct experience of this, but it seems to work okay for the guys that do it.

that's a bit different though, the hot packed wort may or may not be shelf stable, canned basically. But 1) the pH of wort is not low enough to be safe for storage is only processed at normal pressure, and 2) just hot packing is not even as reliable as boiling water bath canning so it's hit or miss if that wort is stable.

Overnight is no problem. that's pretty much my M.O. I've gone 24 hours chilling to pitch temp in the fridge but wouldn't want to go too many more.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:30 am »
Weeks and months is just plain irresponsible.. I have gone a day multiple times... even 2 days a couple times... but if I had to go longer it would be going down the drain.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 10:35:37 am »
mort / dkfick .......tbh, I don't disagree and it's not a practice that I would encourage. I just thought it was worth throwing in for discussion as I've seen the technique referred to numerous times.
I agree with you mort in that I would only chance it overnight if I couldn't cool the wort in my usual way.
Yorkshire, England

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:52 am »
I brewed a beer a month or so ago where I did no chill... but I did pitch about 36 hours later.  I just couldn't imagine letting it sit for weeks
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 11:00:07 am »

that's a bit different though, the hot packed wort may or may not be shelf stable, canned basically. But 1) the pH of wort is not low enough to be safe for storage is only processed at normal pressure, and 2) just hot packing is not even as reliable as boiling water bath canning so it's hit or miss if that wort is stable.

Overnight is no problem. that's pretty much my M.O. I've gone 24 hours chilling to pitch temp in the fridge but wouldn't want to go too many more.

One of these days I will do a test to see how many bad critters grow in a preboiled/refrigerated wort after 72 hours cold storage. but I think if you can leave leftovers cold for 72 hours you can leave wort cold for 72 hours without any health problems associated with food poisoning. I bet it happens to homebrewers all the time who pitch a vial of expired yeast and don't see fermentation for 48-72 hours all across the country.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 11:04:07 am »
I had cooled a lager wort down to 39F as I was waiting for the starters for finish and crash. It sat for 48 hours before I pitched. The beer tasted very good when sampled. I am still here typing this...
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:00 am »
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 11:13:18 am »
I just started doing the no chill method myself by recommendation by Bob stymski? Purely from a time savings standpoint and not to mention the water savings. Flamout right into plastic (250 degree approved) container and pitch the next day. Im liking it so far.
Jimmykx250

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 04:35:03 pm »

One of these days I will do a test to see how many bad critters grow in a preboiled/refrigerated wort after 72 hours cold storage. but I think if you can leave leftovers cold for 72 hours you can leave wort cold for 72 hours without any health problems associated with food poisoning. I bet it happens to homebrewers all the time who pitch a vial of expired yeast and don't see fermentation for 48-72 hours all across the country.

in the fridge, at say 42 degrees I would agree, it would likely be safe for quite some time. I read the initial post as no-chill for weeks or months. that I would avoid.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 08:34:22 am »
Some people do mention extended periods of storage before pitching the yeast.
In my mind, I compare the no-chill method as being like an extract kit.......just a bigger volume of unconcentrated hopped wort stored in a sterile/sanitised container, rather than a smaller concentrated volume you get with extract.
Yorkshire, England

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:48 am »
Some people do mention extended periods of storage before pitching the yeast.
In my mind, I compare the no-chill method as being like an extract kit.......just a bigger volume of unconcentrated hopped wort stored in a sterile/sanitised container, rather than a smaller concentrated volume you get with extract.

but it's not sterile. it's sanitized. Unless it is pressure canned it isn't total safe to store at room temperature. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with no-chill, and certainly no with pitching the next day (or two even) I'm just saying the practice of hot packing wort and sealing the container and then storeing at room temp for an extended period of time is dangerous.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:23 am »
I live in MI and my son is in MD. We've done a few "individual collaboration" brews with a delayed pitching. For example, about this time last year, we each brewed a RIS using essentially the same recipe. He pitched his yeast normally in MD; I brewed here in MI, and after chilling to maybe 80F or so, I racked into a keg, purged with CO2 and stored it in my garage (fairly cool) for a day or two until we drove down to MD with it. There we racked my brew out of the keg into a carboy and pitched. Both beers stayed in MD through fermentation, then were blended and conditioned in a bourbon barrel for a few weeks and bottled. Outstanding stuff that's getting better by the month. We're going to try this technique again with a KBS sorta-clone later this month.

I use the purged keg approach to simplify transport (a fermenting carboy sloshing around for 500 miles didn't seem as attractive as a sealed pre-fermentation keg), but I imagine that I could use it to store the wort here for a few days, too. I probably wouldn't go beyond a few days, though.