Author Topic: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP  (Read 682 times)

Offline BP79

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
This is the 3rd time I'll be brewing this magical beer but first time kegging and cold crashing with gelatin.  Once ferm is done and the bean gunk has settled for 2 weeks, I was going to:

1) transfer to keg
2) add bourbon
3) condition in keg for a few weeks @ room temp
4) cold crash
5) add gelatin to let remaining yeast drop
6) tap and enjoy after 2 weeks

Does this seem right? 

Offline duboman

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1576
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »
The cold crash alone will drop everything out, since this is a dark beer ,IMO there is no need for gelatin
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

  • Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • *****
  • Posts: 19444
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »
The cold crash alone will drop everything out, since this is a dark beer ,IMO there is no need for gelatin

THIS^^^^why bother with gelatin?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

  • Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 13030
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »
+2.  You don't need gelatin here.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3106
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:43 PM »
No cold  rash or gelatin the bottles of my first batch of this. It turned out great, big  row favorite. Couple days in the fridge and the 1450 was a nice tight little package at bottom of the bottles, so I am very satisfied with my results
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline BP79

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
So in general do you guys never bother adding gelatin to stouts/porters? 

Offline Pinski

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1944
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
 I never add gelatin to any beer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

  • Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • *****
  • Posts: 19444
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:51 PM »
I never add gelatin to any beer.

Same here.  Isn't worth the hassle to me.  99% of my beers will clear on their own.  The other 1% are only slightly cloudy and it doesn't bother me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1944
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:46:42 PM »
I never add gelatin to any beer.

Same here.  Isn't worth the hassle to me.  99% of my beers will clear on their own.  The other 1% are only slightly cloudy and it doesn't bother me.

Exactly.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3399
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
I add gelatin to my pale lagers because I think it seems to accelerate the conditioning.  ie instead of lagering for several weeks, add gelatin and it's ready over night.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JT

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1330
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Order of operations to cold crash/add gelatin to Denny's BVIP
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:37:08 PM »
I'm in the no gelatin camp as well.  Currently sipping on this American Pale Ale.