Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature control for wine fridge?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Temperature control for wine fridge?
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:11:56 am »
I have a wine fridge I've been using as a fermentation chamber that has a manual knob for controlling temperature, and it only seems to go as high as about 60 degrees. I've heard of digital controls you can hook up, but don't know where to get something like this. Any recommendations? And how does something like that hook up?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Temperature control for wine fridge?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:39:19 am »
Here are your basic option:

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58

There are more complex ones, some with dual stage operation (can control a heater and a cooling device), some that are super cheap and you essentially put together your self.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:40:25 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58

There are more complex ones, some with dual stage operation (can control a heater and a cooling device), some that are super cheap and you essentially put together your self.

Can this be used on a fridge with a temperature range of 41-64 degrees? Would this controller allow me to go above or below that range, or am I stuck with that range?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:44:43 am »

Can this be used on a fridge with a temperature range of 41-64 degrees? Would this controller allow me to go above or below that range, or am I stuck with that range?

this will allow you to go above that range only. if you need to go below that range you really need a freezer. You might be able to disable the internal thermostat on the wine fridge and go lower but I have no idea how you would do that nor if the fridge would die of overwork if you did.

The external controller will monitor the temp inside the fridge, if it's below your set temp (say 68 to finish up an ale) it will stop the power going to the fridge, effectivly unplugging it. once the temp exceeds your set temp the power will switch back on and the fridge will run until it drops below the set point again.

It's recommended to set the fridge to it's coldest setting.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:47:32 am »
Yes you will be able to go over the temperature range of the internal temperature controller. Basically what will happen is that you will set the internal controller to some lower temperature and the external controller will kick the fridge on and off within a small range around your desire temperature.

So you might set the internal controller to 55 but you want to ferment at 66 so you set the external at 66. The external will turn off the fridge and let it warm to 66. When it gets too warm it will flip on the fridge. The fridge thinks it needs to get down to 55 and run the compressor. When it gets down a couple degrees below 66 it will flip off the fridge and prevent it from getting cooler.

I like the digital version of the same controller. It is slightly more expensive but the control is more precise and you can easily set the range the temperature goes around your desired temperature where the fridge will be flipped on and off.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:19:16 am »
So for greater ranges, it's best to just get a chest freezer and one of these controllers? The fridge doesn't sound like the best option.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
So for greater ranges, it's best to just get a chest freezer and one of these controllers? The fridge doesn't sound like the best option.

except that you already have it. but yes, it seems like a freezer gives you the best range.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce