Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spring 2015 Beer Swap  (Read 37317 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Spring 2015 Beer Swap
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2015, 05:19:00 am »
Dunked is one of my favorite styles, Jim.  The caramel could be from the 20L* Munich and the ester could be from the yeast, if it is slight.  Maybe try a Munich 10L* along with a slow drop to rock the yeast to sleep?  That should limit both of those aspects a bit...but that sounds like it was a darn tasty beer.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2015, 05:25:11 am »
Right on. Ya, its getting closer to what I want it to be. Hopefully I still like dunkels by the time I get it nailed down LOL

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2015, 12:09:54 pm »
Right on. Ya, its getting closer to what I want it to be. Hopefully I still like dunkels by the time I get it nailed down LOL
I'm the same way. I have ADHD with brewing. If I brew a style a lot I end up getting bored with it for a while.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2015, 02:28:58 pm »
My too, but its nice to have a squared away recipe to come back to.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2015, 03:28:20 pm »
I'm the same way. I have ADHD with brewing. If I brew a style a lot I end up getting bored with it for a while.

I'm the same, too. About the time I feel I've got a good handle on brewing a style, I don't brew it again for awhile.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »

I'm the same, too. About the time I feel I've got a good handle on brewing a style, I don't brew it again for awhile.

liking riding a bike (or motorcycle)...once you got it you down you can always pick it back up down the road when you get the urge.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2015, 06:05:06 pm »
Brewer: Jerry Hodge (ynotbrusum)
Beer: German Pilsner
Style: German Pilsner (2A)

Bottle Inspection:  Mr. Beer 0.5L, no sediment   

Aroma:  Moderate low spicy hops with a low graham cracker malt aroma at the backend. An initial hint of sweet corn which fades quickly. Light floral hints. No diacetyl or esters detected. 10/12

Appearance: Pale gold with one finger white head which dissipates quickly to a fine white creamy crown. Very good clarity. 2/3

Flavor:  Light honey graham maltiness with a soft but slightly tangy bitterness. Very low sweet corn. Clean finish. Balance only slightly to bitterness which does not linger. No diacetyl. 14/20

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. No astringency or diacetyl slickness. Not as dry as expected. 4/5

Overall Impression: Excellent beer. Clean and refreshing, but could use some minor tweaks for style. I would probably start with adding 2 or 3 grams of gypsum per 5 gallons to accentuate the bitterness and crispness a bit more. It has a softer bitterness more reminiscent of a Bohemian Pils to me. Head retention is also on the low side. I would add 1/2# of carafoam or flaked wheat to the mash per 5 gallons, or add another step to the mash to raise the temp to ~158 for 15-20 minutes. 8/10

Total Score: 38/50

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2015, 09:04:29 pm »
Thanks, Toby.  Yes, it is probably more of a bohemian Pilsner, but my IBUs  crept up to where I called it a German Pilsner, because I used Hersbrucker, IIRC.  Glad you liked it, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2015, 10:49:05 pm »
Brewer: Jerry Hodge (ynotbrusum)
Beer: German Pilsner
Style: German Pilsner (2A)

Bottle Inspection:  Mr. Beer 0.5L, no sediment   

Aroma:  Moderate low spicy hops with a low graham cracker malt aroma at the backend. An initial hint of sweet corn which fades quickly. Light floral hints. No diacetyl or esters detected. 10/12

Appearance: Pale gold with one finger white head which dissipates quickly to a fine white creamy crown. Very good clarity. 2/3

Flavor:  Light honey graham maltiness with a soft but slightly tangy bitterness. Very low sweet corn. Clean finish. Balance only slightly to bitterness which does not linger. No diacetyl. 14/20

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. No astringency or diacetyl slickness. Not as dry as expected. 4/5

Overall Impression: Excellent beer. Clean and refreshing, but could use some minor tweaks for style. I would probably start with adding 2 or 3 grams of gypsum per 5 gallons to accentuate the bitterness and crispness a bit more. It has a softer bitterness more reminiscent of a Bohemian Pils to me. Head retention is also on the low side. I would add 1/2# of carafoam or flaked wheat to the mash per 5 gallons, or add another step to the mash to raise the temp to ~158 for 15-20 minutes. 8/10

Total Score: 38/50

That's a gorgeous beer. And the description seems like what I could drink a ton of.

Toby, what if it was stand alone? In other words how many points lost for style issues?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2015, 05:25:36 am »
Are there any issues mailing a bottle conditioned beer that's only been bottled a few days?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Spring 2015 Beer Swap
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2015, 05:49:50 am »
Are there any issues mailing a bottle conditioned beer that's only been bottled a few days?
Over primed Bottle bomb? That would get a drivers attention!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2015, 07:30:11 am »

It shouldn't be over-primed. I measure with a scale and use a calculator and haven't had any issues with priming solution not getting mixed in. Its an English IPA, forget the volumes of co2 but not that high.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2015, 07:47:17 am »

It shouldn't be over-primed. I measure with a scale and use a calculator and haven't had any issues with priming solution not getting mixed in. Its an English IPA, forget the volumes of co2 but not that high.

not specific to you or your practices Pete. just possible in general was my thought.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2015, 07:57:03 am »

not specific to you or your practices Pete. just possible in general was my thought.
Yea, in theory it should not be a problem but I won't have the benefit of having a couple weeks to KNOW there are no bottle bombs. I might skip adding it to my package.
EDIT: I definitely wouldn't want to add a bottle bomb to my package if you know what I'm saying. :o

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2015, 08:00:17 am »
That's a gorgeous beer. And the description seems like what I could drink a ton of.
It was very crushable.  Also, the 'haze' that you see isn't haze.  It's condensation on the glass.
Toby, what if it was stand alone? In other words how many points lost for style issues?
That was pretty much it.  A couple points for appearance and mouthfeel (head retention and a touch undercarbed, but I chalked the latter up to the PET bottles possibly not handling shipping as well as glass).  I completely understand Jerry's dilemma, though.  My 'Kolsch' that I'm sending out tomorrow is line straddler like that.  LHBS was out of my usual Spalt, so I subbed Hallertau, but didn't notice the AA was way over my normal numbers (almost double).  It comes off as a Kolsch/German Pils hybrid for that reason.