Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low OG, First brew  (Read 1868 times)

Offline djmoresi

• 1st Kit
Low OG, First brew
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:59:46 am »
I have made my first brew, a black IPA, and went all grain. Long, tedious, and fun. I answered a lot of questions I had along the way. I realize what will make my next batch easier and better. A couple of things I realize I did incorrectly after the fact (and more studying) were:
-I used too much water. In all, probably around 7.5 gallons. This lead to a low OG (1.018)
-I pitched Wyeast 1332 before trying to remedy this low OG (I didn't understand that there were avenues to take to try and fix this before pitching)
Now, the recipe I was using called for a second fermentation and dry hopping.
My questions are:
-Is there a way to bump up that OG DURING fermentation to get closer to what a BIPA should be?
-If not, is secondary fermentation even necessary?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Low OG, First brew
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:12:13 pm »
Your OG was 1.018?  That's almost impossible!  How big a batch was it and how grain did you use?  And not to be insulting, was the grain crushed?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:25:01 pm »
5 GAL BATCH?  OG has to be typo unless this is a really smal batch diluted with water.....or very poor conversion.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline djmoresi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »
Haha, you're not being insulting at all. Believe me, I'm very, very aware that I've got a couple of batches that I will have to stomach by myself or feed to the plants outside.
As for the grain, I did mill that at the brew store. That much I know I did correctly.
I batched 5 gallons, but, like I said, I used waaaay too much water to achieve the wort, which assuredly fouled up my goodies to water ratio.
As for the reading, yeah, it was 1.018. I'm glad to know that I can achieve the impossible. I've pretty much got nonalcoholic, bread soup at this point.
Now, do I have an effed up hydrometer? I guess that would be a cheap investment to find out. But, I'm pretty self aware that my first go was an experiment gone wrong. Is there any thought on salvaging it, or chalk this one up to a lesson learned?

Offline djmoresi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »
5 GAL BATCH?  OG has to be typo unless this is a really smal batch diluted with water.....or very poor conversion.

Probably all of the above, ha.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »
Let's hear details of your brewday.

Mash temps, times, and volumes, grain bill, etc.

7.5 gallons of water in the mash for a 5 gallon batch is not overdoing it at all. I do no sparge regularly and have that ratio roughly.

It's more likely a measurement error somewhere along the way. If you go over your brew day we can maybe help figure out what it was.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:47 pm »
Let's hear details of your brewday.

Mash temps, times, and volumes, grain bill, etc.

7.5 gallons of water in the mash for a 5 gallon batch is not overdoing it at all. I do no sparge regularly and have that ratio roughly.

It's more likely a measurement error somewhere along the way. If you go over your brew day we can maybe help figure out what it was.
Exactly, my ipa that I'm making this weekend calls for 10.23 gallons of water to finish with 5.5 in fermenter after 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil and losing close to a gallon for 12 Oz hops in the boil kettle. Give us more details as everyone else has already stated and we can all pitch in to try to trouble shoot with you
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline djmoresi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:49 pm »
I went with:
11 lb California Select 2 row
1 lb carafa II
1 lb German Munich
1 lb Crystal 20

Mashing may have been the process with the most questions. I put the mash in at 130, and then pulled it at 170. Now, this is most likely where part of my problem is. From what I understand, it's not to get too hot, and interpreted that as, when it reaches 170, yank it rather than maintain that temp for a duration of time (sounding like and hour). I had it clocked at 25-30. That's not right, right? ;) That was just for the mash. I did a 60 minute boil with 1 oz simcoe, 1 oz. citra, 1 oz. amarillo.
And my sparging techniques was to heat water in a separate kettle and run it over the grain and back into the mash. I'm seeing that technique isn't very effective. Also, I didn't reserve any amount of the recipe call water, and added more water in the sparge to the mash. So, like, 9 gallons in total.

I'm pretty much chalking this batch up as a lesson learned, but, maybe you guys can help me with number 2.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »
Were you trying to batch sparge? If so, I think you missed some of the important stuff like hitting an appropriate mash temp. How long did you mash for? I'm guessing you are not using a plastic cooler as you heated up the mash. Tell us more about your equipment.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:32:01 pm »
if you can explain the mash- did you use electric kettle and start at 130F and step up...if so what exactly was temp and time schedule.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 03:41:48 pm »
When and how did you take your hydrometer reading ?  Wort temps stratify pretty quickly after flameout. This seems like a possibility for inaccuracy , too.  And what was the final volume of wort you took the OG reading on ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:18:51 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 04:31:53 pm »
It may be that this is a brew in a bag mash that did not stay in the correct temperature range long enough.  I'm not sure I understand the sparge comments.
What equipment is being utilized?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 04:47:26 pm »
I have the same question as John, if he wort sample wasn't cooled then the og reading will be way low, that could be the issue with the crazy low of.

To ensure your hydrometer is accurate take a reading of plain or distilled water at 60oF, it should read 1.000
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »
You've got a lot of explaining to do!  ;D

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:05 pm »
Feels like we are all asking and explaining ...OP where are you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale