Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commission Brew Need ideas/Recipes  (Read 1545 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Commission Brew Need ideas/Recipes
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:16:27 pm »
Hey guys was just asked to brew some beer for my girlfriends family for a party the yare having? I have no restrictions on what I can brew but I would like to brew something that everyone will enjoy I plan on doing to batches one lighter beer and another darker beer both relatively low ABV's. Thoughts on what I should go with. For the lighter beer I was thinking about brewing another batch Blonde Ale I just brewed or a Basic APA or a Belgian Wit. For the darker beer I was thinking or doing a oatmeal stout, or nutty brown ale but I am open to any suggestions?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Commission Brew Need ideas/Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:44:53 am »
If you've got temp control a kolsch is great summer quaffing. Classic American Pilsner (Pre-Prohibition, whatever) is great for the BMC crowd but take a bit of time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:41:14 am »
+1 to kolsch or APA  or saison for the lighter beer.  Irish stout or brown ale would be good as low abv options for dark beer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:44:01 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:16:10 am »
Blonde ale, Kolsch, or cream ale are all great options for the light one.  Oatmeal stout is great for the dark.  You're already on the right track.  You might also consider an English brown or mild ale.  It's all good.  However I'd probably steer clear of anything with too much hops, unless you know they enjoy hoppy beer -- hops are more of an acquired taste that the uninitiated will fear.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:52:09 am »
Blonde ale, Kolsch, or cream ale are all great options for the light one.  [...] You might also consider an English brown or mild ale.  It's all good.  However I'd probably steer clear of anything with too much hops, unless you know they enjoy hoppy beer -- hops are more of an acquired taste that the uninitiated will fear.

^This ^

Cream ale or Kolsch for the light.  Dark English Mild for the dark.  Both really accessible styles that if done well will please both the beer geeks and novices.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:36:13 am »
I agree with the above. The biggest thing to be careful of is prominent hop and yeast characters. I would go for something with lower IBUs and a reasonably neutral yeast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:39:50 am »
Hey guys was just asked to brew some beer for my girlfriends family for a party the yare having? I have no restrictions on what I can brew but I would like to brew something that everyone will enjoy I plan on doing to batches one lighter beer and another darker beer both relatively low ABV's. Thoughts on what I should go with. For the lighter beer I was thinking about brewing another batch Blonde Ale I just brewed or a Basic APA or a Belgian Wit. For the darker beer I was thinking or doing a oatmeal stout, or nutty brown ale but I am open to any suggestions?

I think you are on the right track with what you have listed. Any of your light choices will work, and a nut brown is a good crowd pleaser for people that aren't super familiar with craft beer. I guess it depends on the crowd. Some people will really go for something hoppy.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 09:19:44 am »
Thanks everybody for the feedback. While I am undecided on a lighter beer, I couldn't make up my mind between a Oatmeal Stout and a Nutty Brown Ale. So instead of picking one I am debating on brewing both! I would just make a 2.5 Gallon batch of each and then a 5 Gallon batch lighter beer. I figured this will provide some selection. Her family actually is very open minded about beer selection which is awesome for someone like me to test my batches of beer on! LOL But anyway I was already working on a brown ale(here is the link: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23297.msg297447#msg297447) so I think I will just work on dropping the ABV  to around 4.5%. Here is a first attempt at an Oatmeal stout recipe I have drawn up
Rock The Oat Stout: 5GAL
-7.5lbs Irish Pale Malt
-1lbs Flaked Oats
-1lbs Golden Naked Oats
-.5lbs Roasted Barley 300L
-.5lbs Chocolate Malt 350L
SRM:40
Hops:
-.6oz Nugget Hops for 60min
IBU:28
Yeast:
-Debating Between Irish Ale WLP004 and English Ale WLP002
Stats:
OG:1.054
FG:1.018
ABV:~4.6%
MASH EFF:~70%

Both recipes need to be scaled down to size unless I decided to just do one

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:15:49 pm »
Thanks everybody for the feedback. While I am undecided on a lighter beer, I couldn't make up my mind between a Oatmeal Stout and a Nutty Brown Ale. So instead of picking one I am debating on brewing both! I would just make a 2.5 Gallon batch of each and then a 5 Gallon batch lighter beer. I figured this will provide some selection. Her family actually is very open minded about beer selection which is awesome for someone like me to test my batches of beer on! LOL But anyway I was already working on a brown ale(here is the link: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23297.msg297447#msg297447) so I think I will just work on dropping the ABV  to around 4.5%. Here is a first attempt at an Oatmeal stout recipe I have drawn up
Rock The Oat Stout: 5GAL
-7.5lbs Irish Pale Malt
-1lbs Flaked Oats
-1lbs Golden Naked Oats
-.5lbs Roasted Barley 300L
-.5lbs Chocolate Malt 350L
SRM:40
Hops:
-.6oz Nugget Hops for 60min
IBU:28
Yeast:
-Debating Between Irish Ale WLP004 and English Ale WLP002
Stats:
OG:1.054
FG:1.018
ABV:~4.6%
MASH EFF:~70%

Both recipes need to be scaled down to size unless I decided to just do one
I've brewed an oatmeal brown ale a few years back and it went the quickest of all the beers I brewed for my kid's birthday party (among the adults, at least). I think you're on the right track with that one.

Frankly, I think as long as you keep the bitterness in check and APA is the way to go for your lighter beer. Keep it fruit-forward and it will be a big hit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer