Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemon Drop Hefe?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline wmwadeii

• 1st Kit
    • Images Unplugged
Lemon Drop Hefe?
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »
So I finished my Apple Hefe and was thinking of another summer beer and making a Lemon Hefe. Was thinking I could use frozen lemonade in place of the apple concentrate, maybe some lemon zest from a few lemons (probably squeeze in the juice too) and use Lemon Drop solely. Only issue is because of miscalculation of the last batch I have half the grain bill left and will probably only make another 3.5% ABV beer, wondering if I should pick up a few pounds of malt, or also thinking I might want to add some caramel or honey malt to compensate for bitter from the lemonade concentrate once the sugar is gone. Was thinking it might also be better to add the concentrate after fermentation has slowed along with the dry hops  to keep some of the sweetness.

2lb 12oz Pale Wheat Malt
2lb German Pilsner Malt
1oz Lemon Drop @60 (?)
Lemon Zest @5
5 12oz (3lb 12oz) Frozen Lemonade Concentrate @ flameout
1 oz Lemon Drop DH (if needed)
Wyeast 3068

Suggestions are welcome.
Fermenter A: Lemondrop Hefe
Fermenter B: Empty
Bottles: Apple Hefe, La Petite Orange Blanche
Brew Total: 15

Untappd
YouTube

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Lemon Drop Hefe?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:29:31 am »
I'm not sure the lemon zest is worth adding unless you have it laying around.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:56:31 am »
So are you going for a radler type of beverage here?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:00:35 am »
Unless you wait till the beer is completely done, filter or stabilize and keg and keep cold you won't keep any of the sweetness from the lemonade concentrate (which is basically just lemon juice, lemon oil, sugar, and some stabilizers).

it's going to be quite tart and the yeast may have a hard time with the low pH but it might be good. alternately you could make a normal hefe with the lemon drop hops and then mix it will lemonade in the glass for a radler type beverage as goschman mentions.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:26:43 am »
Would lactose help counter the tart?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:39:03 am »
I don't know if lactose is going to add enough sweetness to balance this out, plus it's going to add a creamy mouthfeel that's probably not what you're looking for.

Instead of a traditional hefe, maybe you could target something like a wit or a saison that actually goes nicely with a touch of tartness.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:55:49 am »
I don't know if lactose is going to add enough sweetness to balance this out, plus it's going to add a creamy mouthfeel that's probably not what you're looking for.

Instead of a traditional hefe, maybe you could target something like a wit or a saison that actually goes nicely with a touch of tartness.

Yeah it would be creamy. Cream and lemon go hand in hand, but probably not in a beer.
As far the lactose, if any beer could pull it off it would probably be the wit.

I like the wit and saison idea for what the OP's looking to acomplish, probably more so the wit
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:59:31 am by curtism1234 »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:05:04 am »
I think the best idea might be to let the beer stand on its own without the lemonade and blend with the finished product if desired as Mort suggested.

Between the lemon drop hops and the lemon zest, I think the goals for this beer could be easily accomplished. I also agree that it may be more successful in a witbier or a saison.

Offline BrewingReveries

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »
I am bottling a lemon honey vanilla cream ale today and just want to give the heads up that lemon zest adds A LOT of lemon flavor.  For a 5 gallon batch, I used the zest from one large lemon at the end of the boil and it's flavor is pretty up front.  The tartness isn't too bad, but maybe some flaked wheat would add that creaminess to compliment it.  I'm not certain, but I don't think I would add honey or any other sugar.  I'd be afraid it would thin out the body too much if it were added in an amount that would be noticeable.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:58:43 pm »
Don't have much to add except I really like those Lemon Drop hops. Got some in the freezer to use soon.
Jon H.

Offline wmwadeii

• 1st Kit
    • Images Unplugged
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:14:05 pm »
I think you guys are right, wasn't quite thinking of a radler but just something slightly refreshing with a lemon citrus taste. I have had a few grapefruit beers that I thought were OK. Might just make it without any concentrate taste it before dryhop and if needed add some lemon, and was even thinking raspberry concentrate. Going to taste the apple tomorrow which is still in the fermentor and might help me determine what I'm looking for here.

I played around in BS2 and came up with this now, added some carawheat and honey to add a little sweetness, and changed the hop bill to reduce the IBU. Noticed increasing the grain bill bumped it to 5% so in style but not really "session";

3lb 12oz Pale Wheat Malt
3lb German Pilsner Malt
1lb Carawheat
1lb Honey Malt
.5oz Lemon Drop @60
.5oz Lemon Drop @5
Lemon Zest @5
1 oz Lemon Drop DH (7 days)
Wyeast 3068

OG 1.046
IBU 13.1
Color 9.5
ABV 5%
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:39:08 pm by wmwadeii »

Untappd
YouTube

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:52 am »
I'm thinking that's way too much honey malt

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:49 am »
I'm thinking that's way too much honey malt

+1.  I'd use 4 or 5 oz (if any).  A lb would give a lot of sweetness.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:09 am »
In my opinion that is too much honey malt and carawheat and I don't think you need them in this style. If you are using them, I would suggest a 1/2# max of them combined.

Also that 9.5 SRM is going to yield an amber colored beer. Is that what you want?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:42:28 am by goschman »

Offline wmwadeii

• 1st Kit
    • Images Unplugged
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:44:44 pm »
Was not as concerned with color originally. I was originally thinking honey until I saw the Cara not sure why I kept both except honey's description says it has more of a sweetness to it, and thinking with the lemon might want to offset the bitterness with something. If I dropped the Honey and did the max recommended grain ratio of the bill in Cara of 15% do you think that would suffice to get a little sweetness to complement the bitter of the Lemon flavor. That way I'm staying closer to the style with keeping it all wheat and according to what I read Carawheat is a Hefe grain.

Untappd
YouTube