Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smokin time  (Read 12673 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Smokin time
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2016, 12:26:30 pm »
I am, however, heavily considering a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg.

I keep checking out the Big Green Egg whenever I stop by the local Taylor's DoIt Center.  I'm going to take the plunge one of these days and pick one up.

You can scratch that itch now with an Akorn for a fraction of the price and the same results.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25741.msg332528#msg332528
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2016, 07:55:26 am »
I used the "Championship Ribs" recipe from Weber's Smoke cookbook.  The sauce wasn't all that but the rub was spot on.  The rack in front are dry rub only and the rack in back was wrapped with the apple BBQ sauce.

I think the gang agreed because there were no leftovers which means I can't talk trash at work when everyone smells the BBQ at lunch.

Offline sprinter3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2016, 06:39:07 am »
Nice looking ribs Brewbama.  Dragging this post up from WAY back but couldnt resist a comment.  Do you wrap ribs at all or just cook them with no foil?  What temp?  How long?  Just curious how others are doing it.

Troy
Southern, IL

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
I do mine for about four hours at 250, no wrap, dry rub, mopped once or twice depending on if I remember.

They come out looking pretty much like those.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline sprinter3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2016, 12:15:15 pm »
If cooking them in the AM, I do a LIGHT coat of rub overnight (not longer than 6-7 hours though), foiled in the fridge until I'm ready to start cooking.  Then about 90 minutes before cooking I do a light coat of seasoned salt, my rub, and let them sit for about 30 minutes.  Turn them over and do the same thing on the side and let them sit another 30ish minutes.  I want the rub nice and liquid on them and for the meat to be room temperature.  I cook bone side down about 275 and go about 2 hours.  At 2 hours I turn them over, bone side up, and spritz with apple juice or water on the top just to keep some moisture on them.  At 2 hours 30 I turn them back over and spritz again on the upside.  At 3 hours I foil and put some "stuff" in the foil to hammer some flavor down into the meat, cook meat side down in the foil.  At about 4 hours (60 minutes in the foil now) they are just about done so I start checking them.  If they are done I take them out of the foil, set them back onto the cooker to dry them off a bit (5 minutes, and then add sauce for 10 minutes to set the sauce.  AND, if they AREN'T done I put them back on, in the foil, until they are. I generally come out with some pretty tender ribs with a great texture and whatever you add to them in the foil is really prominent in the meat of the ribs.

Now, all that being said, there is definitely something to be said for a nice simple salt and pepper and garlic and onion powder seasoning and just throwing them on the cooker for 5 hours at 250.

I've cooked a lot of BBQ, some better than others but none of it was BAD.  Thats the beauty of it, its just a matter of taste.

Troy

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:16 pm »
Nice looking ribs Brewbama.  Dragging this post up from WAY back but couldnt resist a comment.  Do you wrap ribs at all or just cook them with no foil?  What temp?  How long?  Just curious how others are doing it.

Troy
Southern, IL

I don't foil. I smoke them at 225-275*F for five hours. I check them with a wooden skewer and if it goes in like a hot knife thru butter they're done. If I get resistance I let them cook about 30-45 min longer and Ck again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk