Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Crashing (keg vs fermenter)  (Read 20887 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cold Crashing (keg vs fermenter)
« on: May 18, 2015, 11:37:47 am »
Does anyone ever transfer and then crash their keg vs crashing in primary and then transferring? Any benefits in doing this other than less traub in the keg?

If you do crash in the keg, do you need any type of gas pressure on it?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cold Crashing (keg vs fermenter)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:54:13 am »
Does anyone ever transfer and then crash their keg vs crashing in primary and then transferring? Any benefits in doing this other than less traub in the keg?

If you do crash in the keg, do you need any type of gas pressure on it?

Just enough to seal it and ensure that any O2 is purged. I normally keg and put on CO2 just so it can start to carb up. The next day I will fine with gelatin to help clarify while it carbs.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »
I cold crash in the keg so since it's easier for me to fit the corny in and I can dry hop and carbonate at the same time. .

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »
I crash in the keg.  Cold crashing in a better bottle with an airlock is not a good idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »
Another +1 for crashing in keg while I carb. After a couple days I'll fine with gelatin or Biofine (for styles I want crystal clear).
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
If you crash in the keg, wouldn't all of the traub collect at the bottom of the dip tube and consistently flow out of the tap or get mixed up again once you start serving?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:17:39 pm »
the first couple pints are gunky but then it clears out the area around the dip tube and pours clear till you bump or otherwise jiggle the keg. you can, once it's pouring clear, transfer to another keg if you want to travel with it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:06:24 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 03:56:29 pm »
pours clear till you bump or otherwise jiggle the keg

This is key, though.  If you move your keg, you'll get some cloudy pours again.

Not a big deal, for me.  But if I'm worried, I do what Mort suggests.  Crash, fine, and transfer to a new keg.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »
Another +1 for crashing in keg while I carb. After a couple days I'll fine with gelatin or Biofine (for styles I want crystal clear).
Why don't you guys just add the gelatin when you keg it? It shouldn't make much different should it?
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:39:05 pm »
Why don't you guys just add the gelatin when you keg it? It shouldn't make much different should it?

Gelatin (or Biofine) seem to work better when you get the beer cold first - the directions for Biofine and several references to adding gelatin say to. I just like to give it a day or two to let the beer hit serving temp then add the fining.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:20:41 pm »
For my lagers I cold-crash in the fermenter for 2-3 days at 30F, then transfer to a keg. For my ales I don't generally bother with cold crashing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »

Gelatin (or Biofine) seem to work better when you get the beer cold first - the directions for Biofine and several references to adding gelatin say to. I just like to give it a day or two to let the beer hit serving temp then add the fining.
I guess I don't see why it wouldn't work if you add it at kegging and then allow it to crash. It mixes in when racking the beer on top of it. But I don't know...maybe it settles out and is worthless then...
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »

I guess I don't see why it wouldn't work if you add it at kegging and then allow it to crash. It mixes in when racking the beer on top of it. But I don't know...maybe it settles out and is worthless then...

I've read in several places that it's more effective on chill haze when the chill is actually present (ie., cold temps). I don't know, but it noticeably works better to me when the beer is cold first.
Jon H.

Offline kwdriver

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:52:45 pm »
I always transfer my beer from conical to keg and then add my gelatin and put the keg under about 12 psi (style dependent) to condition and carbonate. After about 2-3 weeks I'll fill up a pint with the gunk from the bottom of the keg. Works like a champ.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »
I've read in several places that it's more effective on chill haze when the chill is actually present (ie., cold temps). I don't know, but it noticeably works better to me when the beer is cold first.

This.  If you want to knock out chill haze, you have to let it form first.

Plus, I usually only fine after I know I need to.  If I don't need to, I don't.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton