Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RV Trip 2015  (Read 5868 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: RV Trip 2015
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 08:07:58 pm »
I'd stop in Salt Lake City over Nephi. SLC  to the North Rim is doable in a day and you'll have a lot more choices that way. Nephi is a pretty small town without much going on. Don't be afraid of the 4% abv limit on grocery store beer in Utah. Those guys are making some pretty good stuff under those rules.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:19:54 pm »
Good to know, I think she was trying to keep all driving days doable. We are scheduled to pass through and see some sight in SLC, but I dont have the time frames in front of me, got them now. Looks like we are trying to catch SLC and Park City(one kid is a big ski nut and wants to see where the big boys ride the rails) on the route to Nephi. Also, everything is on a budget, we were able to find a cheap site in Nephi, while other spots were booked or spendy. I dont know all the details, but I know I have scheduled a camp site in Nephi, canceled it, losing my full night deposit, and rebooked again. Dont want to change again. And I have to remember that I was not a big help in original planning stages. Its not all about me and beer: I have been reminded. Oops, I will more actively participate in next year's travel plans
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hangdog10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 09:50:35 pm »
Utah is state run liquor stores, but 4% beer in most stores. Check out Epic Brewing, Squatters, Wasatch, Shades of Pale, and Park City Brewing. Also, on the way to the Grand Canyon, stop by Zion NP. You will not be disappointed. Have a safe trip.

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 12:58:25 am »
We are all busy at NHC with no time to post.  Heck, even Denny hasn't posted much.
I second Jim's suggestion on Glacier.  That's a very nice drive over the pass.  We stayed at Many Glacier Lodge last Fall and had a great time.  Beautiful park.
We also liked Grand Teton Park a little better than Yellowstone, but they both have their fine points.
If you can fit a day or two into Zion before the Grand Canyon won't regret it.  It is awesome.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 12:16:01 am »
Vegas:
Banger Brewing on Fremont Street.
Hop Nuts Brewing in the Art District (south of Fremont).
Big Dog's Brewing in NW LV, if you get off of the strip.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 07:34:55 am »
Thanks galapagos
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 10:13:37 am »
This is kind of pricy in Park City, but it's a fun way to experience the mountain
http://www.parkcitymountain.com/site/summer/activities/alpine-slide

You can also look forward to a 6-8% grade on I-80 between Park City and Salt Lake City.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 10:57:27 am »
Zion is a favorite, consider a short visit to the Kolob Canyons section to the north, very pretty too. North rim has a different look and vibe vs South rim of the GC NP.

The drive out of Zion to the GC, take UT9 to Carmel Junction, 89 down to Kanab and Fredonia, then take the road to Jacobs Lake and the Park entrance. Red Rock country at some of its finest.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 01:00:17 pm »
Zion is a favorite, consider a short visit to the Kolob Canyons section to the north, very pretty too. North rim has a different look and vibe vs South rim of the GC NP.

The drive out of Zion to the GC, take UT9 to Carmel Junction, 89 down to Kanab and Fredonia, then take the road to Jacobs Lake and the Park entrance. Red Rock country at some of its finest.
Yes, that road from the east exit of Zion, through the tunnel built in the 30's or so and among the rocks that look like they were melted into place is a great drive.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 69franx

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »
All of the sights were wonderful. Thanks for all the tips. We did wind up taking the 16 rather than the 14 and skipped Sheridan. Thus took us through a ron of construction traffic through the Big Horns so I don't think we gained anything.
     My first time driving an RV, we would up with a shorty 22 footer after trading away the 31' they had assigned to us. The switch was based on prebooking campsites for a 25' RV. After driving the 22' through all the twisty, winding hills all over S. Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Arizona,  and so on, I'm quite glad we switched. For a rookie, there were quite a few pissed off drivers behind my slow a@$ through a lot of ot, but we made it unscathed and saw some wonderful sights.
     Cody Wyoming was a blast, we all agreed we would skip Deadwood if w went again, Mt Rushmore, the Black Hills  and the Badlands were all great. Yellowstone was packed as I'm sure it always is. We saw a ton of Bison and Elk but we're all disappointed that we saw no moose, and no adult bears. The Teton were beautiful and the view from atop Signal Mountain was incredible,  if a little tough to get to.  We checked out Bryce  Canyon which was also incredible, bring on the HooDoos. We took a drive through Zion, but missed the shuttle parking lot and then we were out of the park: poor signage did not help, but what we saw was gorgeous.
     Our last night in the RV was a lake view/front spot on Lake Mead. The view was incredible but it is July, so it was hotter than any of us would have liked. We woke up and went to the Hoover Dam. We first checked out the Pat Tillman/ Mike O'Callahan (?) Memorial bridge across the river. We walked across the Colorado river! From the Memorial bridge, we decided we had a great view of the Dam, the damn traffic,  and the damn tourists, and decided to pack it in and not fight the crowd and headed off the Vegas!
     Our trip was through Apollo and Star RV rentals. They replace their entire fleet with new vehicles every year and always need new vehicles relocated from place to place. We paid $1 per day for the RV for 2500 miles and 12 nights.  Generator use, liability insurance, gasoline, and all matter of assorted fees were extra,  ut I think in all, we spent less than $1500 for the RV itself, and another $1000 for gas
Over the 2824 miles we drove in it. All in all, it was a 700 mile drive to pick up the RV in Forest City, Iowa then 2824 miles I  the rv, totalling over 3500 miles driven in 15 days, can anyone drive me to work tomorrow?
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:30 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a heck of a journey

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 05:41:04 pm »
Sounds like a great trip, Frank !
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 05:47:08 pm »
It was one helluva trip, with 3 kids (12,14, &17) getting on each others nerves for 2 weeks straight. We all survived even though the oldest 2 started exchanging punches in our Vegas Hotel room (brothers will be brothers I guess, but 17 on 14 is more than a little unfair and I had to step in and stop it). We are already planning next year's trip and plan o  leaving the then 18 year old behind
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »
The plan for next year is the same pickup but going further north and west through Oregon and Washington with a final drop off point of San Francisco
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:26 pm »
It was one helluva trip, with 3 kids (12,14, &17) getting on each others nerves for 2 weeks straight. We all survived even though the oldest 2 started exchanging punches in our Vegas Hotel room (brothers will be brothers I guess, but 17 on 14 is more than a little unfair and I had to step in and stop it). We are already planning next year's trip and plan o  leaving the then 18 year old behind

Chevy Chase would be proud !  Sounds like a handful. I'm a Dad, so I can relate  :D
Jon H.