Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trading is legal?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Trading is legal?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 08:17:34 am »
So my friend in Iowa makes BBQ. I brew beer in Texas. Can he mail his BBQ to me, and I ship him a 6 pack, in a "fair trade"?
I am not so sure beer for Iowa BBQ (not really known for their BBQ) is considered fair trade when you live in Dallas (widely known for their BBQ).

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 09:06:03 am »
I’d say you could usually safely make a swap between friends, but publicizing it on the internet does increase your risk…

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 09:26:59 am »
I’d say you could usually safely make a swap between friends, but publicizing it on the internet does increase your risk…

Of course, this is all hypothetical in nature. I don't have friends in Iowa! But I do have family there.
No, do not plan on shipping anything to anyone. Never have, never will. Or trying to barter beer for goods of value. Everyone knows that is not allowed!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:48:43 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 05:54:06 am »
So my friend in Iowa makes BBQ. I brew beer in Texas. Can he mail his BBQ to me, and I ship him a 6 pack, in a "fair trade"?
I am not so sure beer for Iowa BBQ (not really known for their BBQ) is considered fair trade when you live in Dallas (widely known for their BBQ).
We have great BBQ in Iowa.  >:(

We are much better known for raising and processing what gets BBQ'd though.  3MM people who raise 3.7MM cattle, 24MM hogs and 56MM chickens.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 08:19:38 am »

We are much better known for raising and processing what gets BBQ'd though.  3MM people who raise 3.7MM cattle, 24MM hogs and 56MM chickens.   ;D

Paul

You are absolutely correct! I grew up in Fort Dodge. Still have family there, and in the Des Moines area. A great state!
Besides livestock, the worlds best sweet corn!

I think there is a small brewpub in Ft. Dodge.

https://www.shinytopbrewing.com/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 08:27:24 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 08:46:38 am »

Paul

You are absolutely correct! I grew up in Fort Dodge. Still have family there, and in the Des Moines area. A great state!

I grew up in Newton and went to college in Ames and Iowa City.  I know Fort Dodge well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Trading is legal?
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 09:30:15 am »

Paul
I didn’t mean to say you don’t have great BBQ. I meant to say you’re not known for BBQ …like Texas is.

Cheers!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 10:13:39 am »

Paul

I grew up in Newton and went to college in Ames and Iowa City.  I know Fort Dodge well.

Well, it's a small world after all! Had a sister and her husband who lived in Boone. Spent my honeymoon in Ames...first wife. Short marriage!
Our most recent visits to Iowa were to attend the funerals of family members.
We like Iowa, and Ft. Dodge. Even briefly considered moving back.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 09:19:57 pm »

Paul
I was going to say, Iowa is in the top 3 for pork production. Someone has to have figured it out. I've never heard of a style of BBQ specific to Iowa though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 09:44:44 am »

Paul
I was going to say, Iowa is in the top 3 for pork production. Someone has to have figured it out. I've never heard of a style of BBQ specific to Iowa though.

The Iowa topography is best suited for agricultural purposes, vs livestock growing. Corn, soybeans, oats. Not sure, but I think they raise a fair amount of barley. In the southern part of the state, it is hilly so growing crops is not well suited. That is where you find the largest cattle producers.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 12:56:11 pm »
Not that it really matters but I've live in Iowa my entire life and I have never seen barley grown here. 

The majority crops are corn and soybeans for sure, but you see all kinds of stuff here.
There are a few farmers trying out hops too.

If it can be grown or raised, someone in Iowa is trying to do it.  The numbers I quoted earlier came from State/Federal livestock surveys. 

Barley is generally raised in North Dakota.  It gets too warm here for barley to be a viable cash crop.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter but I'd hate folks to drive through thinking they'll see lots of barley fields.  :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 07:54:52 am »
I was certain there was a website on barley crops in Iowa. Just did another search, did not find it. No matter, Iowan’s grow corn for gas-o-hol.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 12:39:00 pm »
I was certain there was a website on barley crops in Iowa. Just did another search, did not find it. No matter, Iowan’s grow corn for gas-o-hol.

Miller Malting is between Cedar Rapids and Dubuque, they probably account for 90%+ of Iowa barley. Subsidies are better in corn for sure.
https://www.millermalting.com/

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 02:45:45 pm »

Miller Malting is between Cedar Rapids and Dubuque, they probably account for 90%+ of Iowa barley. Subsidies are better in corn for sure.
https://www.millermalting.com/

Cool! I knew it was on the web somewhere!