Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: building a large starter  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
building a large starter
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:00:21 am »
Got a vial of WLP830 and i am making a 5l starter for a Vienna brewing this sunday. I want to make another 5l starter for a similar batch i'm doing a couple days later, but was wondering what the best way to grow. Should i decant the first starter and dump another 5l of wort on that cake then split that between the 2 batches, or pinch a little cake from the first starter and start anew?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: building a large starter
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:48:23 am »
I vote for "pinching." In the first option, 5 L + 5 L does not equal to 10 L.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:02:23 am »
Assuming you hit maximum cell density on your first 5L starter, I don't think you are going to grow more yeast by decanting into a second 5L starter.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:58:01 pm »
The better question is why do you believe that you need a 5L starter?   Are you making a large batch of beer?

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:27:43 pm »
The better question is why do you believe that you need a 5L starter?   Are you making a large batch of beer?
Cuz Mr Malty said so. 5.6 Gallons of 1.052 recommends 5l using a stir plate/1 vial. Last  Lager i did suffered i think because I under pitched.
First time a lesson, second time's a fool.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:14:49 pm »
That's beyond ridiculous.   No 5.6-gallon batch on the planet needs a 5L starter.  A batch of that gravity and size is a 1-liter starter pitched at high krausen at best.  I can start 5.6-gallon batch with 60B cells and produce an off-flavor-free beer.  Do you aerate your wort?  At what temperature do you start your wort?   

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:19:28 am »
What settings did you use to get to a 5l starter? The only way on a 5.6gal 1052 beer with that calculator is using a fairly old lager pack. Mrmalty IMO overshoots the viability drop off on yeast vials/packs. It also doesn't take into consideration whether you are aerating/oxygenating the wort or whether you are pitching at high krausen.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:38:17 am »
i'd feel good with doing the 5l starter and split the cake for the two batches. good fresh yeast and plenty for both average size brews IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:11:40 pm »
What settings did you use to get to a 5l starter? The only way on a 5.6gal 1052 beer with that calculator is using a fairly old lager pack. Mrmalty IMO overshoots the viability drop off on yeast vials/packs. It also doesn't take into consideration whether you are aerating/oxygenating the wort or whether you are pitching at high krausen.

I'm seeing the same results with a production date of today and continuous aeration. 

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:27:03 pm »
When I plug 5.6g of 1.052 and 9/24 as production date, I get suggestion of 1 vial and 1.03L starter, unless I missed a detail somewhere...?
edit: missed lager, now it reads 2.06L
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 12:51:00 pm »
When I plug 5.6g of 1.052 and 9/24 as production date, I get suggestion of 1 vial and 1.03L starter, unless I missed a detail somewhere...?
I get the same 2.06L when I'm at ale, simple starter.  When I swap it over to lager, it goes to 4.12 L with 2 vials.  That or 10.21L with 1 vial!  (keeping it at simple starter throughout).

Offline 69franx

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:19 pm »
I get the same 2.06L when I'm at ale, simple starter.  When I swap it over to lager, it goes to 4.12 L with 2 vials.  That or 10.21L with 1 vial!  (keeping it at simple starter throughout).

I see that now too, thought we were on continuous aeration. Simple does give 4.12L. I knew I must have been missing something, turns out it was 2 things
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »
I gave up on pitch calculators. Too many variables to consider. I don't poopoo them for an entirely new brew or yeast, but I have found that I usually need to tweak things on the following rebrews.

I've also quit using my stirplates, but thats because I am following the new trend of not following old trends.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 01:13:21 pm »
Right there with you Jim. No more stirred starters for me, and just trying to get within 1 replication period of optimal pitching rate. I have been very happy with my results so far 8)
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 01:28:42 pm »
I don't shake it like it owes me money... thats what I wasted money on Oxygen and a stone for. So I oxygenate, then shake till I'm bored of shaking (about 15 secobds). Anyway, it gets me more yeast than the stirplate and it smells totally fresh and tastey, as compared to rank yeasty stirplate stuff. Works for me.

All of my ales get 2L of 1.030 and one smack pack per 6 gallons, lagers get two of those per 6 gallon. Amounts subject to change when dialing in a specific recipe. Someone may say thats too much, and I would say yes it might be. But the effects of too much are far less noticeable vs too little. Though, one might want too little or too much (at least compared to a calculator) depending on desired effects.