Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn  (Read 11505 times)

Rookie

Re: Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »
I like this: "If you’re stressing over homebrewing, you’re doing something wrong."

Isn't that basically just saying: relax, don't worry, have a homebrew?

Now where have I heard that before . . .

In a way, yes.  I didn't even think of that until I'd been saying it for a year or so.  But said either way, it's something more people need to keep in mind.  Homebrewers seem to be getting so serious these days....

A hobby should be fun, if it isn't you should find a new one, crossword puzzles perhaps.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2016, 06:59:06 pm »
This has inspired me to use Fuggles in place of Willamette in my ESB this weekend...and add Blackberries to a portion of my Mexican Chocolate Stout later in the week...Hope the ESB doesn't taste like dirt...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:23 am »
Hooper, your ESB will taste like dirt.  But in a good way.  :)

My contribution to challenging homebrew conventional wisdom, is that diacetyl rests for lagers are unnnecessary.  You're welcome.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 09:30:30 am »
My contribution to challenging homebrew conventional wisdom, is that diacetyl rests for lagers are unnnecessary.  You're welcome.

I wouldn't say that 100% of the time, but my experience is pretty much like yours...my lagers almost never need a d rest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 09:53:01 am »
I can't speak with authority regarding d rest for lagers. Where I find d rest needed is with WLP002. When I taste a gravity sample the day after the krausen falls it always taste like movie theater butter. A few days later the butter is gone.

PS. D rest with WLP002 doesn't necessarily require a raise in temp. Just a few days rest and maybe a swirl.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 10:06:45 am »

I wouldn't say that 100% of the time, but my experience is pretty much like yours...my lagers almost never need a d rest.

so do either of you raise temps at end of fermentation for your lagers-fast ferment for lagers?  I agree that good process can minimize D production to the point you don't even perceive it (wlp 830 /833 is like this for me), however I've had some Czech lager yeast produce noticeable levels that I cleaned up with free rise to 60F.

with fast ferment, I'm holding my cooler temps until about 65ish% ADT, then letting it rise to 60F to finish up anyway.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2016, 10:09:40 am »

so do either of you raise temps at end of fermentation for your lagers-fast ferment for lagers?  I agree that good process can minimize D production to the point you don't even perceive it (wlp 830 /833 is like this for me), however I've had some Czech lager yeast produce noticeable levels that I cleaned up with free rise to 60F.

with fast ferment, I'm holding my cooler temps until about 65ish% ADT, then letting it rise to 60F to finish up anyway.

I do now, but even before I did I almost never had diacetyl in a lager.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2016, 10:11:21 am »

I do now, but even before I did I almost never had diacetyl in a lager.

understood. I almost never perceive it either-except for a coupe of lager yeast strains where Ive noticed it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:36 am »
Late reply here, but finally got around to reading this. 

Love the letter, its author and the blogger. 

Though I would love to be a fly on the wall if Denny and Rabe were locked in an interrogation room together for 2-3 hours with 2-3 growlers of barleywine (or just be in the room sharing the barleywine). ;D
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2016, 09:13:42 am »
Just to play devils advocate, but now that Marshal and Denny are the new authorities, should we challenge that we should  challenge conventional wisdom?

The Beerery

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:49 am »

Though I would love to be a fly on the wall if Denny and Rabe were locked in an interrogation room together for 2-3 hours with 2-3 growlers of barleywine (or just be in the room sharing the barleywine). ;D

Well, I can tell you at least one of us would be sober. I would never drink barleywine!

Ancient Abbey

Be A HOMEbrewer! | An Open Letter From Denny Conn
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:22 am »
I think people also need to understand the difference between learning the scientific principles governing brewing processes and accepting dogma.  Then, try to figure out which 'conventional wisdom' is actually referencing. 

Some people will read Kunze and understand the rules governing what levers need to be pulled to achieve the product they want.  Others will read it and say "Kunze says I have to do x, y and z....".  Personal slant is rampant in homebrewer targeted tomes, much less in the academic texts.  Who is really going to pay $290 for Kunze and learning brewing principles, when they can get a $15 summary book that effectively tells them how to make beer.  Even worse, forums are free and people can claim whatever they want. 

There are 88 keys on a piano.  You can make sounds without knowing what each key does, you can even play a cord by someone just telling you which keys to hit.  But, you can only make music when you understand what each key does. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:47:11 am by Ancient Abbey »

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2016, 09:51:25 am »

Well, I can tell you at least one of us would be sober. I would never drink barleywine!
Doppelstick alt!?  Eisbock?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2016, 09:51:49 am »

I love BW, but I'm way too old to have more than a sip or 2.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2016, 09:55:03 am »
What about homebrewers who don't view these things as rules? Is there a place for folks who just love brewing, learning old way and new ways? Sharing what seems to work or not work? People who view this purely as a hobby and dont really get a thrill out of proving things and winning arguments or putting wrong people in their place? Those kind of brewers don't really view guys like Marshall, Denny, Drew, Gordon, Jamil, John, etc etc as Authorities to be obeyed. Or acknowledged as such.

Does there always have to be a right and wrong, winner and loser?

Just my personal perspective, but it seems like if you get angry because some mentions a stirplate, or a protein rest, or your blood pressure goes red-line because an anonymous person claims to have a secret way to get an indescribable character... ooff! Relax a little, maybe.