Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maitake  (Read 1145 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Maitake
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:40:28 pm »
We had the first big rain of the fall and I knew it was mushroom time. I went to my closest known Hen of the Woods spot and found this straight away.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Maitake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:44:34 am »
beauty! When we were living in Dorchester my wife came back from her run one morning with a little clump of those. We looked them up and satisfied ourselves and then went back for the ~10 lb still at the base of the big chestnut. We sauted and froze and enjoyed at least once a week all winter.

Probably my favorite mushroom. Or at least in the top 5.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Maitake
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 10:51:14 am »
beauty! When we were living in Dorchester my wife came back from her run one morning with a little clump of those. We looked them up and satisfied ourselves and then went back for the ~10 lb still at the base of the big chestnut. We sauted and froze and enjoyed at least once a week all winter.

Probably my favorite mushroom. Or at least in the top 5.
As far as what we routinely find here this and black trumpets are my favorite. We gather a few each fall, eat some fresh and make duxelle (sauted mushrooms with LOTS of butter) that we freeze. We dehydrate the rest for soups and my favorite: wild mushroom sauce with homemade pasta.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.