Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NZ SAAZ  (Read 4190 times)

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
NZ SAAZ
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:19:23 am »
Has anyone used NZ Saaz hops?  I bought a pound a while back and am trying to decide how to use them.  They differ from continental saaz in that they are around 8%AA, and I have seen no good descriptions of their flavor characteristics and whether they even resemble Czeck Saaz. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
Re: NZ SAAZ
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:51:10 am »
I have not brewed with them but it looks like they are also know as "Motueka".  Here is the link to New Zealand Hops Limited:

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/motueka.html

A triploid aroma type developed by New Zealand’s HortResearch. This hop was bred by crossing a New Zealand breeding selection (2/3) with Saazer parentage (1/3). First selected by a notable Belgian brewery lead to this variety being called Belgian Saaz and later shortened to “B” Saaz so as not confuse country of origin.

Selection:
First impressions are a very lively and lifted lemon and lime followed by a background of tropical fruit. This variety displays similarities to its Saazer parent through its levels of Farnesene typically around the 12 % mark however the higher alpha also makes this hop more desirable in dual purpose applications. It imparts a balanced bitterness as well as a desirable new world “noble” type aroma.

Brewer’s notes:
An excellent hop in many applications from first kettle additions through to late gift.  This hop offers a unique aroma and flavour making it suitable for producing bigger more traditional style Lagers, especially Bohemian Pilsener. Excellent when employed in multiple additions from a single hop bill and sits well on the palate to balance speciality malt sweetness. An excellent variety for Belgian Ales and gives a real edge to Cask Bitter.

Grower comments:

Maturity  Early season
Yield   Low to Medium
Growth Habit   Vigorous, columnar frame
Cone Structure   Cylindrical, open, loose cones
Disease Resistance   New Zealand is hop disease free
Storage Stability   Good

Technical data:
HPLC & Oil Composition (Measured within 6 months of harvest, stored at 0 ºC)

Alpha Acids  6.5 - 7.5 %
Beta Acids   5.0 – 5.5 %
Cohumulone   29.0 % of Alpha Acids
Total Oil   0.8 ml oil per 100 gram cone weight
Concentration   107 uL Oil/gram Alpha
Myrcene   47.7 %
Humulene   3.6 %
Caryophyllene   2.0 %
Farnasene   12.2 %
Citrus-Piney Fraction   18.3 %
Floral Estery Fraction   4.0 % (Linalool 1.6 %)
Xanthohumol   0.4 %
Other   10.4 %

Applications:
Typically employed in traditional Pilsener styles this Saazer cultivar has also found application in many traditional European and English Ales styles as well. The weight of oil to alpha integrates it fully with higher gravity types and will counter both malt sweetness and body.

Cheers!
Ryan

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:48:19 am »
At 8 %, I would think that it would be a bit harsher tasting than the true czech Saaz.
I don't even think it would be considered Noble.

In the mean time, I have no concrete info at hand to support this theory.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:04:58 am »
Here is a commercial beer that would allow you to evaluate this hop. I cannot comment I have not tried it....
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:47:13 pm »
To clarify, it was 7.5%AA, and I have brewed a classic american Pils og 1.060 about 40 IBUs using these to get a feel for their aroma and flavor.  I will try to follow up with the list once I have evaluated the beer.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:28:42 am »
We were able to evaluated teh NZ hops at Sierra Nevada Beer camp.  Wow.

Motueka, Pacific Hallertau, and Southern Cross were all very fragrant, great aromas.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:42:27 pm »
The CAP made with all NZ Saaz turned out great.  I brewed it a little big for the style, but was happy enough with the flavor that I used the same hop (much lower IBUs) for my maibock.  It has a nice noble character, very clean, solid bittering. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA