Author Topic: Canada or at least Ontario is fazing out reusable glass bottles  (Read 43 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Assistant Brewer
I know a lot of people keg nowadays, but I still bottle. I returned to Canada and had to rebuild my bottle collection from scratch.

Surprised to see that there were almost no glass reusable bottles except for belgians and german weisse beer bottles with a few exceptions. Tons of stuff that used to be in bottles was gone or in cans.

This has something to do with recycling they claim. I could imagine it being one attempt to minimize homebrewing and keep people enslaved to big beer and big canadian prices. absolute cheapest beer at the store is about $1.95 / 500ml can. ontario microbrew default price is set at about $3.25 / 500ml can and is of extremely variable and often mediocre quality.

Thankfully I managed to snag enough glass bottles because I could see the writing on the wall, but by now its even harder to get glass bottles. Disgusting and pathetic behaviour by the big-beer owned "The Beer Store" govt owned beer supplier.

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
Re: Canada or at least Ontario is fazing out reusable glass bottles
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:56:54 PM »
I know a lot of people keg nowadays, but I still bottle. I returned to Canada and had to rebuild my bottle collection from scratch.

Surprised to see that there were almost no glass reusable bottles except for belgians and german weisse beer bottles with a few exceptions. Tons of stuff that used to be in bottles was gone or in cans.

This has something to do with recycling they claim. I could imagine it being one attempt to minimize homebrewing and keep people enslaved to big beer and big canadian prices. absolute cheapest beer at the store is about $1.95 / 500ml can. ontario microbrew default price is set at about $3.25 / 500ml can and is of extremely variable and often mediocre quality.

Thankfully I managed to snag enough glass bottles because I could see the writing on the wall, but by now its even harder to get glass bottles. Disgusting and pathetic behaviour by the big-beer owned "The Beer Store" govt owned beer supplier.

Glass recycling doesn't make much economic sense anymore, now that china won't take our dirty stuff, but it's more about cans just being cheaper and better for freshness for craft breweries.  With the number of companies offering mobile canning lines now, you don't even need an upfront investment.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline fredthecat

• Assistant Brewer
fair enough. lol, im on my third aventinus IN A CAN NO LESS, so i cant formulate a decent response at the moment.