Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chasing the perfect Munich Helles  (Read 69688 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Chasing the perfect Munich Helles
« Reply #330 on: January 08, 2016, 10:18:51 am »
Alright, guys, let's drop that whole business and get past it.

Ancient Abbey, you used too much water as Bryan said, assuming you gave it long enough for the husks to absorb the water. Sometimes I'll have a little left on the rollers, but my roller knurls are wearing down and don't want to pull grain through worth a damn when it's dry. Some breweries do wet mill their grain. Not sure what the settings are on their mill gaps though. I haven't really seen much of a difference in efficiency with conditioning, just better crush and amazing runoff.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2016, 12:12:46 pm »
Alright, guys, let's drop that whole business and get past it.

Ancient Abbey, you used too much water as Bryan said, assuming you gave it long enough for the husks to absorb the water. Sometimes I'll have a little left on the rollers, but my roller knurls are wearing down and don't want to pull grain through worth a damn when it's dry. Some breweries do wet mill their grain. Not sure what the settings are on their mill gaps though. I haven't really seen much of a difference in efficiency with conditioning, just better crush and amazing runoff.

I did pop for SS rollers on my mill, as I malt condition more and more.

I have seen a GEA Huppmann Millstar in action. The rollers are very large diameter, maybe in the 8 inch range. They have small groves on the face, that approximates the shape of a barley kernel. The rollers have slightly different RPM, so that the barley is sheared apart, the husks are intact, and the endosperm is fully exposed and milled. Hot water is sprayed in, and the mash begins in the mill. The mash slurry is then pumped to the mash tun. You can find the web site and read about it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2016, 06:00:24 pm »
Here you go, here is a snippit of a recent non-decoction helles. I add water to grain like everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kG41xcdiSU

Lol, Germans don't mash in a bag!!!!

The Beerery

« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »
Here you go, here is a snippit of a recent non-decoction helles. I add water to grain like everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kG41xcdiSU

Lol, Germans don't mash in a bag!!!!

You sure?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:45:49 pm by The Beerery »