Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichman top tier  (Read 4884 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Blichman top tier
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:19 am »
I'm thinking of purchasing Blichman's top tier system, as my self-made flat system is on it's last legs, and for less than $1,000 this would be turn key to make things right in the world. 

Anyone have any comments good or bad about this system?  I would get three burners and pump form HLT to mash, but then gravity to boil pot.  I also use a RIMS process and would like to continue that. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Blichman top tier
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »
I'm thinking of purchasing Blichman's top tier system, as my self-made flat system is on it's last legs, and for less than $1,000 this would be turn key to make things right in the world. 

Anyone have any comments good or bad about this system?  I would get three burners and pump form HLT to mash, but then gravity to boil pot.  I also use a RIMS process and would like to continue that. 

Well, I pulled out my AMEX and ordered the top tier system with three burners, and a pump mounting bracket. 

I can't wait. 

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »
At least you slept on it first.  :)
I've seen and heard good things about it on another forum.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:48:45 pm »
What got me was an out of town trip, and the LHBS in that town had one on display. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:40:33 pm »
Wow... my search for "Blichman's top tier system" revealed this very thread- first on Google.  :o There's a natural gas conversion kit (nipple) for $4.99 on Northern Brewer. Interesting...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:53 am »
Wow... my search for "Blichman's top tier system" revealed this very thread- first on Google.  :o There's a natural gas conversion kit (nipple) for $4.99 on Northern Brewer. Interesting...

I actually purchased it from Northern Brewer.  $8 for shipping something that heavy is quite a deal.  And the actual system componets are the same price where ever you shop. 

(I still can't wait) 

Offline bones1973

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:51:20 am »
I've been thinking about getting the top tier as well. Have a b-day coming up and will use any gift cards to help with the purchase. my current setup, which really isn't a set up at all, is getting old. i've seen several posts on other forums where people bash the stand. well, i'm not a welder or builder and this will suit me just fine. i saw it in action at nhc 2010 and talked to John Blichmann about it several times.  Let me know how it works out and how the pipe setup for the mulitple burners goes.

Adam.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:55 am »
I've been thinking about getting the top tier as well. Have a b-day coming up and will use any gift cards to help with the purchase. my current setup, which really isn't a set up at all, is getting old. i've seen several posts on other forums where people bash the stand. well, i'm not a welder or builder and this will suit me just fine. i saw it in action at nhc 2010 and talked to John Blichmann about it several times.  Let me know how it works out and how the pipe setup for the mulitple burners goes.

Adam.

Will do Adam.  I'm tracking it on the Fedex website, and it'll be here tomorrow.  So of course I'm taking the day off work.  LOL

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:36:09 am »

Adam.

OK, got my Top Tier system Friday, and it's a good thing my father bought me an erector set back in the 60's, as there is much assembly required on this thing.  Got it all together (minus the gas manifold) before going to bed Friday (My black IPA was catching up to me)

Saturday morning, went to Home Depot, go two lengths of 24" gas pipe, and had it completed by about 10am.  then life happened.  Sunday morning we through a "dry" run with just water going from pot to pot, checking boiling times, etc.  Basically, just getting used to how it all works before I through some grain in.

I give it an A+ so far.  Gonna brew my "chunky dunk" on Sunday.

Offline skynyrd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:28:37 am »
I've had mine all summer now.  Love it.  My set up is:  burner on top (all the way up) for my HLT, then next down is a shelf that holds my 60 qt. cooler mash tuns' top right below the HLT valve then, a burner next down that holds my brew pots' top just below the MT valve.  = All gravity fed and get this.  It is high enough that it easily drains to a "Therminator" chiller with No pump!
I plumbed mine with SS braided hose in stead of the cast iron pipe.  Their burners are great!  Also got a big propane tank that I would recommend.

Offline bobjohnson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »
I got mine in the spring.   Top, down I have burner (HLT), shelf (mash), burner (keggle).   I love just having a stand and not having to set up saw horses and tables.   Never felt safe that way.   I'm a diy kind of guy, but with a 40+ hour a week job and 2 kids under 10, building one from scratch just wasn't going to happen.   I saw the top tier as a good alternative.   It's basically a kit, where you get to build it and feel like its your creation (sort of).

The thing is solid, but still mobile.   I have a old concrete driveway with cracks and it rolls good where I want it to go.   If you have a nice, smooth drive way, this thing will roll in and out of storage very easily.    The burners are nive also.   Took me a couple brews to get the feel for where to have the gas turned up to.   But, now I go full open, then back it off just a half turn or so and get a good flame and it heats up quick.     I don't think I am getting the fuel efficiency that they claim they get, but it's hard for me to measure this, so this is just a feel.   I guess I could measure it if I really wanted to, but....maybe some day.

All in all, I am really happy with the purchase.   I don't think I could have made one much cheaper, with similar quality. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »
I started using a nail and hammer to put a little "punch" in the main support post to count how many brews.  8 so far......

Offline bones1973

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:25:08 am »
finally pulled the trigger and ordered it. got 3 burners, the pump bracket and the therminator mount. it's gonna be a fun fall and winter.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
you'll love it dude.  The quality of the burners is amazing. 

Offline bones1973

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 05:39:01 pm »
it came today. and now the fun can begin.