Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stovetop/oven mashing  (Read 7522 times)

Offline lbrewski

• Cellarman
Re: Stovetop/oven mashing
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 09:08:14 am »
Used to do quite a bit of partial mashing on the stove, here is a shot of stirring while heating:

My sparge method was to move the grain to a colander over the brew kettle and slowly rinse with 168f water. I realize that this is inviting the dreaded HSA but I have 4 yr old bottles of strong ale that have no issues.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 09:21:56 am »
Thanks, lbrewski!  That's exactly the seat of the pants, down to earth method that I want to illustrate!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 10:41:19 am »
I boil my 2-3gal batches on the electric stove but mash in a 3gal water cooler with a braid.  Except last night I actually mashed on the stove exactly like Sean's pic, using a grain bag.  I did a small 1gal batch and didn't feel like breaking out the MLT for that.

I've stovetop mashed and used the oven, and I always had problems with temp fluctuations.  Last night's mash went pretty well though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO